Is there a way to check if a fuel pump is bad when not on the car?

ERamos

I had a bunch of issues with my car and the mechanic changed out my 190 fuel pump cause he said it was bad and ended up changing the computer and some other stuff because of a short. I don't think my fuel pump was ever bad in the first place. Is there a way with a mutimeter or something to check if the fuel pump is good. Also I remember it being made by BBK is there any idenification I could tell if it was for sure the one that was on my car.
Thanks

Not sure how to identify it as the one that came out of your car, but you should be able to look at the shop manual and see if it looks similar. I don't think any mechanic has a bunch of t-bird fuel pumps laying around. As for the test, see if the shop manual can help. I use the public libraries shop manual and actually copied the whole thing. Good luck.

I would say the same thing. Just run some leads from your car's battery to the black and red wires. If it turns without making any grinding/funkey noises, it's fine. Also most electric fuel pumps are made by Walbro. Some companies might put their stamp on it, but even the Hollie, and Edelbrock are made by Walbro, so I don't know if you'll be able to tell the difference. How old was the 190 you had in it? They usually last quite a while, my original had 74K on it if that helps. I hope he at least put in another 190 in. Ask him for the receipt for the pump, or ask him for the part #...after all, you're paying him...he ain't payin' you right?!?! It sucks when you feel like a mechanic's trying to pull the wool over your eyes...been there before.
Good Luck,
-Jeff

Back