Steering Pulsation

acb92sc

Under hard cornering, the steering "pulsates". The wheel will twitch/ jerk back and forth alittle bit, and there's a little bit noticable in the handling. Any inclination as to what this is?

PS- Its all stock from the day it was built in 89, but in 1 week it will be getting new upper and lower C/A's, strut rod bushings, spindles, brakes, springs, struts, etc....

My '91 SC has just started doing this as well. I checked out most of the steering, and thought the tie-rod ends are a little loose, they're not bad enough to cause this problem. Some people have suggested that the the variable power assist steering may be stuttering(Thinking intermittently that the car is going slower or turning harder then it is...causing it to boost more then it should). The recommendation to debug it is to yank the plug on the variable steering. This should send it into full boost all the time. The steering won't feel right...but if the system is the problem, it should be more consistent.

My car's been lighting up the check engine light for more then two years....perhaps I should pay attention to it and see if one of those codes has to do with the speed sensor.

Let us know if you find out what the problem is.

steering

it is posable that you power steering pump could be going out
the more stess it gets the more the pwer goes away, drain out all the fluid and replace fluid to see if it helps any could also be dirty,

pulsating

My 89 has done this for a long time.I have all new front end components including the rack so it's none of that stuff.That "variable steering plug"
sounds like a posibility so where is it?

Mine did that too. It's my understanding that it's what's called the EVO, the variable assist device, that's going bad. Now my firm assist is gone and it is on easy all the time even at highway speed. I've gotten used to it. The good part is that it stopped twitching when I go thru turns.

Mike Puckett said:
Mine did that too. It's my understanding that it's what's called the EVO, the variable assist device, that's going bad. Now my firm assist is gone and it is on easy all the time even at highway speed. I've gotten used to it. The good part is that it stopped twitching when I go thru turns.
SO ONCE I DELETE MY ARC IT SHOULD STOP? OR SHOULD I UNPLUG THE STEERING ASSIST AS WELL? THAT PLUG IS ON THE SIDE OF THE PUMP/ RESERVOIR, CORRECT?

The ARC has nothing to do with it. That's the ride control not the power steering. The EVO actuator is on the back of the power steering pump. I don't know what happens if you unplug it. It's supposed to default to full power assist in the event of any type of failure and this is what mine seems to have done so I suppose yours will, too. The pulsation in mine was never so bad that it was a problem so I just put up with it and never did anything about it. Eventually it went to full assist.

Back