Jack Point - CrossMember 2

R

rgrobert

Ok, so I've owned my SC for 13 years, and have probably used my floor jack in numerous incorrect places. I was reading the Shop Manual and it said that jacking it up on the center of the number 2 crossmember was acceptable. I was hoping that someone could enlighten my ignorance....what is the number 2 crossmember? Is it the 4 inch wide piece that the rack-and-pinion and the lower A-Arms are bolted to? Or is it the 3/4" wide piece with the lip under the oil filter that catches all of the oil when the filter is replaced?

Is the piece that the steering and the A-Arms are bolted to known as the K-Member? Would anyone recommend lifting/supporting with Jack Stands by this piece?

I've read numerous posts that have given some conflicting info about where to put jack stands on the front of the car....None of them have inspired me with much confidence.

Would people recommend leaving the car supported on Jack Stands by the #2 crossmember for any duration of time. Or would the rails behind the wheelwell be preferred.

Sigh...It leaves me longing for my non-unibodied '72 Chevelle which could be lifted just about anywhere.

Any help you could throw this way would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

Back