Maximum wheel size in 95 bird???!!!???

Mercury267

I have a 1995 T-bird. I have a chance to buy from a guy local here a set of wheels. The fronts are 18 X 9 in. and the rears are 18 X 10 in.

The wheels are Saleen knock offs in a black powder coat. I do not yet know the back space of these wheels. I have to get a call back from the guy to find that out. They did though come off of his Mustang car. My questin is will these wheels fit under the sheet metal of the bird? I kknow the lug pattern is 5 on 4.5 in, where the bird is in 4.25 in. I am doing a lug conversion on my car. I am more interested in if these wheels will actually fit up under the car, and what should the back spacing be, or what size spacers might I need? Couls anyone help me out here???

mercury267@juno.com

Thank you,
~Mercy

More than likely anywhere from +24MM to +30MM offset...Hard to say without measuring them obviously. Here is a link to illistrate how to accomplish the measurment.

CLICKY

They will work but it is not going to be a proper fit IMO...Depends on what you are willing to live with. Depending on the offset they are going to stick out of the fenders. Nothing some bushwackers won't fix though... ;)

Brad

Need to fit under the sheetmetal...

Oh, no... that won't do at all. They would have to be tucked up under the quartes and fenders to be considered, and the fronts would have to fit with out rubbing.

Are you sure the rears will stick out???

It just depends on the offset. If they are +30-32MM then you would probably be OK with the fit, would be my guess...If they are +24-28MM you may not be so happy...No way to know until you figure out the true specs of the wheel.

Brad

I've seen pics of one on 24's so you can go that tall. But I'm sure that would need a bit of suspension work and a complete lack of good taste. :confused:

10" wide rear wheels...

Well that is the problem. I don't want a hooptie!!! I know that these Birds would look great with some really wide rubber tucked under the rear. The wheel (for the rear) are 18" tall with a 285 low profile tire on them. I wouldn't want it sticking past the 1/4 panel though. I would only pick them up if I knew that they would not only tuck up under the car, but not rub under load either. Same for the fronts. The front wheels are an 18t X 9w wheel with (if I remember correctly) a 255 or 265 low profile tire. The fronts would also need to be tucked up under the fender and not rub during corning. I wonder if anyone knows exactly what the widest wheel and tire combo is that would fit UNDER the sheet metal is, and what the backspacing of the wheel would need to be to accomplish this without rubbing under steer or load?

Any input guys???

Back