Brake Accumulator

Greg

Ok…when through a driveway test from a SCCOA member and determined that my accumulator was bad. Replaced the accumulator and everything worked great. Only concern that I have is that I have a low count when I pump the brake before the accumulator comes charges up again. Actually starts charging after three pumps. I am also having intermittent loss of brake when I am in heavy traffic. Both Antilock and the Brake light comes on, and the accumulator is in constant charging mode. The car still brakes, but it's soft for a split second then grabs. But the problem disappears once it sits for about ten minutes. I pulled out the shop manual and went through about every test there is, and everything passes. I am at a total lost. This is an '89 SC that I have with a manual transmission with stock brake system.

Can someone tell me how many times they can pump their brakes before the accumulator starts charging? Also would appreciate any advice.

Thanks for your time in advance……

I have the same problem. I just replaced my accumulator and did a brake flush as well. Couple of days later the ABS light comes on. I checked all the connections and wheel sensors, everything is ok. I went to Ford and they could find nothing wrong and charged me $150.00 for nothing. Three days later... brakes failed completely, went back to Ford... they replaced the relays. The problem is still there and the ABS light still comes on intermitatly. Ford says that it MIGHT be the Presure Switch. So as of now I believe thats what it is but I won't go back to Ford to fix it.

Ford dealers sometime don't know what they are doing. I originally went to Ford to look at my problem and they quoted me $6000.00 !! I about blew up! Told them I could buy a whole other car and just swap parts. I'll never go back to the Ford dealer again.

my accumulator swap experience

I replaced mine about 2 yrs ago. For the first few weeks, I was getting a pedal press count of around 4 which wasn't very impressive considering the new accumulator. But eventually, the count went up and is around 8 or 9 now. I think it was a matter of retained air working itself out of the accumulator over time. It bubbles up into the reservoir, not into the lines.

Your problem with the lights coming on and loss of power assist to me sounds like either: sticky pump relay, faulty pressure switch, or bad wiring/connections. Since your relays are new (are you absolutely sure?), I'd look at the closely at the wiring and connectors. You can take a hand full of wire harness by the relays and/or the pump and wiggle them around to see if makes a difference. I don't know where to get a pressure switch, maybe priorreman could help you out with that.

I'm assuming the relays are new since they ordered them in and gave me back the old ones and I can see the new ones installed... but anything is possible. The first thing I checked throughly were all the electrical connections, including all the ABS sensors and harness in the engine compartment and under the car. This was actually done 3 times.

With the symptoms that you are having, and since you replaced the pump relay and accumulator...i'd say its ur pressure switch...I had to do mine, and as mostly everyone I ended up staying away from ford who wanted to charge me $2000 and Maineke who wanted to charge me $1000. I ended up spending about thre or four hundred bux but with some new brake hoses, a couple of new rotors, new pads, and a pressure switch..and brakes working like a dream! here's what i wrote in another thread just in case that you want do do the job ur self:

"Just in case you are still having this problem and need to replace your ABS pressure switch here's some info. I did this a while ago and I bought the switch from ford. It was $165 and it ended up being $173 with taxes. It is part# E7SZ-2C244-A Pressure Warning Switch. You are going to need a special socket for this, some people have found alternate ways to use tools like a bearing socket i think, but i decided to buy the right tool. Its a special thin-wall socket made by OTC tools and i ordered it through Car Quest Auto Parts...they're like a Pep Boys or a Track Auto..but im not sure if they are all over the country. The OTC part number is 206-021. The dash in the part number IS important, i remember the person i spoke with emphasize that. Hope this helps."

Preasure switch

Where exactly is the preasure switch and can it leak? I have an awful brake fluid leak, thought it was the accumulator, but now I wonder. I'm going through a quart of brake fluid every 2 weeks.

There is a pressure switch that screws into the proportioning valve, which is located a bit below the master cyl. assy, it's on a bracket on the frame rail I think. The Ford number is F0SZ 3N824 A, in Canada they list for about $145.00. There is an o-ring to go on the stem where it screws in, the last one I ordered in didn't have it on there, but it's a standard size. These switches can leak, and cause the pump not to activate as well I believe.

cheers
Ed (the parts guy) Nicholson
SCCoO

Hey Fast Ed….I'm going to have to lift the car up and check for that leak. I have has a some puddle of something lately from under the car. I just have been too busy to check it out and just have been watching my fluid levels. Thanks for the advice and I'll try to re-post when I figure out the problem.

Back