Ohio Guys *read Please*

T@Sound-Xtreme

OK, heres my problem, and question.

I am a permanent resident of Ohio, I am currently serving Active Duty USMC, and i need to register my car In Ohio, i bought the car here in North Carolina, so i need to do an out of state inspection before they will let me register the car. Which entails of basicly chacking the vin to the car from what Im told.

So my question is is ther anyone in Ohio that can fill out this paper work for me? I can send you all kinds of pics and other things to verify that my sc is well an sc. I called all the dealers from my home town and almost got the chevy dealer to do it, but then he found out it was a ford and he put me on hold then to tell me that he couldnt do it for me.

So im hoping that someone can help me, or knows someone that can help me.

Tyler

T@Sound-Xtreme said:
OK, heres my problem, and question.

I am a permanent resident of Ohio, I am currently serving Active Duty USMC, and i need to register my car In Ohio, i bought the car here in North Carolina, so i need to do an out of state inspection before they will let me register the car. Which entails of basicly chacking the vin to the car from what Im told.

So my question is is ther anyone in Ohio that can fill out this paper work for me? I can send you all kinds of pics and other things to verify that my sc is well an sc. I called all the dealers from my home town and almost got the chevy dealer to do it, but then he found out it was a ford and he put me on hold then to tell me that he couldnt do it for me.

So im hoping that someone can help me, or knows someone that can help me.

Tyler

Tyler,

In most states, that's handled by the Highway Patrol (State Police).

David

You need that check to title the vehicle in Ohio. I'm not sure how someone in state can "do the paperwork" for you. When you are in state, there are places like car dealers and some repair shops that will verify the VIN. To my knowledge, they have to have the car their physically to verify the VIN. They write down the vin on a sheet of paper and charge like $10 and then you take the paper work down to the clerk in your county and transfer the out of state title.

When I got my 89 XR7 from Indy all I had to do was go to a car dealer and have them look it over. Its cost me something like $5. I just drove back to the title agency and they gave me my new Ohio title.

Shane

yes that is what needs to happen, the problem is driving there, lol. I knwo for a fact that the car would not make it that far, and it needs some minor work before i can drive it more than 10-15 mins. I have all the parts i need to replace it, except the control arms which mike is supposed to be bringing soon. But i dunno, i read over at tccoa now that I might be able to have an MP do it then just send all the stuff back to my mom and she can do it(with poa). So hopefully that will work.

That was the problem the local dealerships wouldnt do it becasue they wanted to actually see the car, and thats where the problem lies, in a 14HR road trip that i would not make,lol

Thanks,
Tyler

T@Sound-Xtreme said:
yes that is what needs to happen, the problem is driving there, lol. I knwo for a fact that the car would not make it that far, and it needs some minor work before i can drive it more than 10-15 mins. I have all the parts i need to replace it, except the control arms which mike is supposed to be bringing soon. But i dunno, i read over at tccoa now that I might be able to have an MP do it then just send all the stuff back to my mom and she can do it(with poa). So hopefully that will work.

That was the problem the local dealerships wouldnt do it becasue they wanted to actually see the car, and thats where the problem lies, in a 14HR road trip that i would not make,lol

Thanks,
Tyler

I've purchased and titled many out of state cars in Ohio. You have to take the car to the BMV and they personally check the VIN and mileage. You cannot get around that. I am quite sure that Shane has given you false information (albiet without intent, I'm sure). They have to verify that the car exists, period.

XR7 Dave said:
I've purchased and titled many out of state cars in Ohio. You have to take the car to the BMV and they personally check the VIN and mileage. You cannot get around that. I am quite sure that Shane has given you false information (albiet without intent, I'm sure). They have to verify that the car exists, period.

I guess I made it unclear but yes the car has to be pressent at the time of inspection before you can get it titled in Ohio. Pictures of any sort will not get the job done. Sorry if I confused anyone :(

In my case, the day after I drove my old XR7 to Ohio I went to the title agency and they told me it need to be inspected by any of the local car dealers. So I went to the closest dealer (it was a dodge dealer) and they looked it over, gave me a peice of paper that verified the vin and milage. Then I drove right back to the title agency to have the title converted to an Ohio title. Painless unless the car is still out of state.

Shane

Last edited:
Tyler, do you know now how much more duty you'll have in NC? It might be easier to register it here and then when you go back to Ohio, register it there.
I think in the military, you can register your car in the state you are doing duty in.

I'll throw in my 2 cents (again)! LOL

I've titled more than my share of out of state vehicles in Ohio. The title work is done by the "Clerk of Courts" and not the BMV. In many counties their offices are close to the BMV but not in all locations. (The BMV handles license and registration. You may title a car without registering it, but not the other way around.)

The Clerk requires the mileage statement and the VIN certification. I've never seen a BMV (at least in Medina county) that will do that, but the Clerk's office should have a list of places that will do that. I go to a new car dealership close to the Clerk and BMV. Like everyone else said, this is a visual inspection that must be done on the actual vehicle. I don't know if an out of state place can do the inspection and send it to Ohio. I would doubt that, however.

Since you are military and out of state, they should be able to issue you some sort of ownership certificate for the vehicle or you may be required to title in in the state you are in and then re-title it upon your return to Ohio. Best bet would be to call your county clerk and check out the rules.

Website from Ohio for information:

http://www.occaohio.com/clerkphonedir.htm

I have a about 1 1/2 years left here in NC, I can title it here, but i will ahve to pay 3% every year for personal propertie tax, which would ttl 6% and then i would have to go back home and register,and i think that is 7%?

And yes the BMV told me that i would have to go to a dealer in ohio for the inspection. Hopefully i can find out more about an MP(military police) filling out the neccessary paperwork and completeing it that way, although i may be wishing to much. :(

I was told by the BMV here that if i were to title it in NC, i would then have to have NC insurance, which you would think would be no big deal right, well my rates would almost DBL from switching from Ohio and to NC.

So im really trying to save myself some money in the long run.

This whole thing is so messed up. Hopefully i can find a way.

And thanks to everyone who is helping me,

Tyler

Back