caliper sliders

ThunderDave

I hope this isn't a stupid question, but did all SCs have the torx head on the caliper slider bolts?

I just redid my front brakes and the right side calipers had torx heads on the sliders and the left side had a regular bolt pattern on the sliders.

I'just wondering if someone that owned the car before me had changed this and the caliper might be causing my brake problems.

Thanks!

The slider pins have a Torx head. These pins hold the caliper to the spindle and there are 2 of them per side. They have a smooth surface which allows the caliper to move back and forth when applied and released.

If yours aren't that way, something was replaced with something which is likely very wrong. I'd look for some replacements.

nope they are in like new condition and have hex head my 92 has torx head the 93 had torx the other four sc,s ive had this yr had torx so it may have been a early thing or they may have been replacements.

The torx head is inside end of the slider. The bit goes on the inside. The other side is a bolt head and was not rounded off. I've got some extra brake parts, that I'll use to replace them. Could be why the inside pad keeps wearing and causing the rotors to wear. They are sliders bolts, but if they aren't the right ones, maybe they would cause this problem.

Thanks for the help. :)

Ok, another question. What is the offset supposed to be on the rotors, where they go over the hub? The ones I took off that I had gotten from Autozone :eek: , have a 13/16 offset, while some I have on some spindles off an SC, that I got from "big e" have a 1" offset. I know that has to have something to do with how the rotor and pads line up.

I didn't think about checking the new rotor offset when putting them on, but I think they were the 1" offset. I'll check them later, but it might be the end of the week before I can, they are calling for rain till Thursday. Could Autozone have given me the wrong ones? :eek:

Attachments

• DSC00165 (2).JPG
    DSC00165 (2).JPG
    245.3 KB · Views: 58
NCredSC said:
Ok, another question. What is the offset supposed to be on the rotors, where they go over the hub? The ones I took off that I had gotten from Autozone :eek: , have a 13/16 offset, while some I have on some spindles off an SC, that I got from "big e" have a 1" offset. I know that has to have something to do with how the rotor and pads line up.

I didn't think about checking the new rotor offset when putting them on, but I think they were the 1" offset. I'll check them later, but it might be the end of the week before I can, they are calling for rain till Thursday. Could Autozone have given me the wrong ones? :eek:
89 has 3/4 inch my 92 has 13/16 hmm wonder why so different

Back