M5R2 Rebuild. Bearing removal?

91BLOWNSC

Just wondering if the rear bearings that I see in the back of the tranny must be removed in order to replace the syncros only. We thought maybe we could bypass taking those off and still taking everything out. We thought there might be some way around taking those lock nuts off of the back.

Thanks.

two ways, lock the trans into two gears at once(stops shafts from moving), then remove the"tang" and use a large adjustable wrench, 2nd option, smack the side of the nut with a large dull chisel on the edge of the flats to unscrew it :rolleyes:

you still need a bearing splitter and some form of press to remove the 2nd gear syncro im sure, cant remember

I use the hammer and chiesel method to remove the nuts. Lift that indented spot completely out of the groove on the shaft or it will never come off. The output shaft bearing is pressed on. Again I use the hammer and chiesel, blunt nose here, on the gear behind the bearing to knock the bearing off. The other bearing on the output shaft will have to be removed on a press at a machine shop after you remove it from the housing. Take digital photos as you go so you make sure you put everything back correctly. And careful as you go there are lots of sleeves, sleeve bearings, and little steel balls to get mixed up or lost. They're actually not too hard to do. I've rebuilt 5 now and they all worked.

Alright..........

Ok well i ended up getting all that stuff off, thanks for the help guys. I have a few things that I need some more help with. It seems that my reverse slider ring is toast. The points are completely flattened (not by me), and it seems that 2nd and 3rd are pretty well rounded. So I am guessing that I am going to need all 3 of them. I heard that people on here said they stopped making them, so what exactly should I do to correct this problem. I am also scared to hear the price, but if someone could help me out with this info it would be great.

Thanks.

Also, I thought fiber lined syncros were not available anymore. Because the ones I ordered from SG are definitely fiber lined.....so I dunno.

Last edited:
Contact Southern Gear, 770-435-1461. They should have all of those parts available. Make sure they know it's an SC M5R2 and not a truck version.

Mike Puckett said:
Contact Southern Gear, 770-435-1461. They should have all of those parts available. Make sure they know it's an SC M5R2 and not a truck version.

Alright great, thanks. They quoted me about 85 dollars a piece. I dunno if I should invest in all 3 or if thats to high. Would I beable to use either the 1-2 sleeve or the 3-4 sleeve in place of the reverse sleeve thats so beat up so I would only have to buy a new 1-2 and 3-4, and not all 3? Besides the 2nd gear grind I had, it was very tough getting my tranny into gear. I had to push really hard on the shifter. What would explain this?

Last edited:
The 1-2 sleeve is different from the other 2. It has an offset to the outer groove and must be installed correctly. If the 3-4 is the same size as the 5-R then that one would be Ok. I don't remember but I'm thinking they are not the same size. I'll have to check them to be sure. Personally, I would replace all the bad sleeves and, yes, they could cause it to be hard to shift. Hard shifting is not that unusual with these anyway. Be sure to replace the slave cylinder while you have the tranny out since a bad one can cause hard shifting as well. I wrote an article on this a few years ago for Charging Thunder but don't have a text file for it. I do have a Jpeg of it from scanning it. I'll post it when I get home this evening. It's a complete disassembly, reassembly procedure.

I paid about $30 each the last time I bought blockers. My dealer said they were the last 8 that the supplier, Green's in Ohio had. Astro Transmissions in Houston claims to have them. I'm good for 3 more rebuilds before I run out of fiber blockers.
I saw a TV show about a man in Havana who made brake shoes for the old cars there. I was wondering if the brass blockers could be modified similar to how he made brake shoes to make a fiber backing. An epoxy and carbon fiber maybe? The Cuban man used asbestos!
The 1st 5 pages of my article are here. That's all it'll let me put on one post so I'll follow with the rest.

Attachments

• M5R2-1.JPG
    M5R2-1.JPG
    193.5 KB · Views: 110
  • M5R2-2.JPG
    M5R2-2.JPG
    203.3 KB · Views: 117
  • M5R2-3.JPG
    M5R2-3.JPG
    181.3 KB · Views: 115
  • M5R2-4.JPG
    M5R2-4.JPG
    200.6 KB · Views: 98
  • M5R2-5.JPG
    M5R2-5.JPG
    215.7 KB · Views: 92
Here's the rest.

Sorry I don't have these in a text file. I started to make a .pdf file but it was going to be humongous in size so I never did.

Attachments

• M5R2-6.JPG
    M5R2-6.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 107
  • M5R2 insides.jpg
    M5R2 insides.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 95
XR7 Dave said:
All three sleeves are different.

How much were the fiber lined blockers?

I believe I just payed like 35 a piece. But I dont' have the reciept next to me.. They have that fiber/friction material coating on the internal surface. Im assuming they are fiber lined that everyone said was not made anymore? I dunno. I just ordered it for a 95 bird 5-speed and thats what they sent me.

Last edited:
Mike Puckett said:
I paid about $30 each the last time I bought blockers. My dealer said they were the last 8 that the supplier, Green's in Ohio had. Astro Transmissions in Houston claims to have them. I'm good for 3 more rebuilds before I run out of fiber blockers.
I saw a TV show about a man in Havana who made brake shoes for the old cars there. I was wondering if the brass blockers could be modified similar to how he made brake shoes to make a fiber backing. An epoxy and carbon fiber maybe? The Cuban man used asbestos!
The 1st 5 pages of my article are here. That's all it'll let me put on one post so I'll follow with the rest.

Thanks for the article! You've been a big help.

How long ago did you order yours clown? I am dreading doing the rebuild on mine and trying to put it off as long as possible. But if I can get the fiber lined ones I might do it if I get pissed off enough at the grinding.

Chris

So......

All I can find is 1 new 3-4 sleeve for my tranny and its 100 dollars. What exactly am I supposed to do with the other two? Like the 1-2 and 3-4 don't look horrible, but there definitely not pointed anymore. Any suggestions?

Well, if you can't get them, you can't get them. You'll probably be Ok if the points are just rounded off a bit. If they are worn off then it would be better to replace them. It might be better to try to find a used transmission for parts.

seawalkersee said:
Where are you gettin the other sleeve? Is it still in production?

Chris

Southern Gear can get the 5/R sleeve AND the 3/4 sleeve brand new. Which is on its way to my house. He said he thought he coudl get the 1/2 but then said no. But he said they had a really good used one there for 30 bucks. So I bought it. I figure what the heck might as well compare it to mine.

Back