help, odometer and tripodometer stopped working!

buck92sc

I was driving home last night and I noticed that my odometer and tripodometer stopped working. I shut the car off, and started it back up and it worked for 3 miles, then shut off again. Where should start to look to fix this problem? Is there any way replace the unit with the correct mileage showing? Thanks for any help and advice.

Kyle

Two places to check.

1) get under the car and make sure all wires are firmly pushed into the tranny. If they appear to have dirt, oil, or any other nasty stuff around, on, or in them, then make sure you clean them with a mild no-residue solvent (obviously this is inside the connector...not just the outside).

2) Pull the instrument cluster out and check behind it. Make sure all wires are securly plugged in.

odometer

TBK, thanks for the reply. It must be a loose connection somewhere, because it's been working fine all day today, ill get under and check the plugs. The stupid plug for the back up lights is all wacky too, one day it works, the next it doesnt. Thanks for the help.

Kyle

There is most certainly the answer then. All of that stuff is on the same harnass. Now, there is a possiblility the harnass is loose under the center console. It plugs into the dash harnass right under the radio/ac area.

If it's not loose/dirty at the tranny,then try this next.

Back