Valve covers and Blower......

paulford8

I just picked up my 92 SC at auction... Just got it insured today. I drive around and smoke is coming off my pass. exhaust mainfold. Vavle cover looks oily from top. To replace I only have to remove throttle body correct? Can I reuse that TB gasket or do I need a new one?

The blower snout makes noise; I checked the fluid and it was low and dingy. I did top off today..... Still provides good fast boost. Is the damage already done for it? If thats the case is installing a reman blower pretty simple... I have done all types of mech stuff but never worked on a blower..

Thanks

to get tht pass side cover off the inlet plenum has to come off, and the easiest way to do that, is to remove the intake tube from the filter box, unhook the throttle calbes (just pop a screw driver in there) undo all the vacuum lines to the plenum. Unbolt the supercharger (3 bolts, 1 18mm in front, and 2 10mm on the side) wanna make sure you slip the belt off too...and unscrew the hose clamp that holds the bypass valve connector on (lil black tube with two hose clamps) fairly simple

for the blower: blower is very simple...can be rebuild fairly easy, but if it was ran for a very long time with low fluid, it will cauise problems...i bought a magnaport 2 blower from a guy, and didnt noticed a leak that it had til it was too late...it seized on me...yea not too fun, but taking it out and apart is pretty easy.

hope this could help out a lil, any more questions let me know, glad to help

Thanks for the impute, Most of these cars have tons of dummy lights like mine??? Ever seen the change oil NOW light stay on after changing the oil?? mine is!! IS there something I can reset???

its been a while since ive seen my change oil light come on (which is every 3000km it seems) since my car has been off the road for the best part of 6 months, but im pretty sure on that display panel there is a reset button. I cant wait to see that light again :) It shows coolent and washer levels and all that fun stuff too right?

Try tightening down the valve cover bolts before you change the gasket, SC's are famous for them leaking because they are loose.
My first SC had a leaky pass valve cover when i bought it too.
You need a deep socket, it's small like a 10/9mm

Tin-Knocker105 said:
Try tightening down the valve cover bolts before you change the gasket, SC's are famous for them leaking because they are loose.
My first SC had a leaky pass valve cover when i bought it too.
You need a deep socket, it's small like a 10/9mm

Are the original gaskets rubber? This had a rubber and all of the bolts where loose!!! I could hardly even get to them before I loosend the blower. I may have been able to get by with a tighten but it is done now!!

A lot of work for a valve cover gasket!!!! I ran it hard and no leaks..... still lots of blower noise; but I got just under the 10 on boost gage....I may look into a reman blower...... still working but lots of noise......

paulford8 said:
Thanks for the impute, Most of these cars have tons of dummy lights like mine??? Ever seen the change oil NOW light stay on after changing the oil?? mine is!! IS there something I can reset???

...on the left side of the VMMS is a reset button,some yrs. had actual buttons and other yrs. needed a paperclip,turn key on,engine off...depress and hold button till flashing stops........VMMS is then reset to "ok".....at least that's how mine works.......
z

THanks!! I got the OIL CHANGE NOW saying OK now........

Car is running good and everything seems to be in order....

I still need to decide if I am going to buy a reman Blower or waite until is fails.....

Back