Flying DIP Stick?

tim

Ok I over filled my oil a tad the other day. Maybe a half a quart. Last time a the track It blew the dip stick out and oiled up the engine. I just checked the oil and it is just atad over full and bang on the way home it blows the dipstick tube out again. I checked the pvc, its ok. I dont see any smoke out of the pipes. Could it be blow by that bad? The engine only has about 2000 miles or so on it. If I pull the oil filter off and put a new one on will that drop the oil level a tad. I sure hope I didnt hurt the engine. One other thing in the last 150-200 miles the vaccumn is going up to 20-22 lbs when I let up on the gas. The boost is comming up a lot faster and makes another pound or so of boost. Man thid is nuts. :(

It almost sounds as if the rings did not seat properly on break in, and is indeed blowby. I just saw the same problem here at the shop. Rings were replaced, problem has gone away. You would normally expect to see this on a high mileage motor with too much boost.

Ron

Ok but if it had bad rings wouldnt the vaccum go down not up? Also wouldnt it burn oil? It just started at the track last week sure hope it isnt rings. I dont have the money to do a complete engine tear down right now. :(

for now screw a Ford Motorsport breather cap on the oil fill tube(same as Mustang breather threads), the K&N ones dont fit so well

Tim,

Have you replaced the PCV valve and checked to make sure that the PCV valve hose that attaches to the intake plenum isn't kinked ?

Using a breather cap like Assclown suggested will allow the crankcase to vent without blowing the dipstick out, but it also defeats your PCV valve system.

David

it'll work, but it'll just be an "open" system :D, but make sure you leave the PCV valve installed or you'll varnish up the engine

Take off the filler cap, and hold the motor steady between 1500 and 2000 RPM and look for smoke. The other way to verify blowby of ourse is to do a leakdown test. Compression test can look great, but only a leakdown will give you the absolute answer. The breather cap will of course help as well. Should not have affect on vacuum.

Ron

I went to a ford motorsport dealer. The parts guy told me that when the lighting guys overdrive there blowers they can have the same problem. The cure is a motorsport cap. I bought one and since I have not got on it I cant tell if it did anything or not. I also had my leaky exhaust fixed today and now that all the noise is in the back like its suposed to be I dont here anything wierd in the engine. I did over fill the engine a tad so tomorrow I am going to replace the oil filter and not put any oil in it. That should drop the level down to where its supposed to be. We will see. I am also going to change=check all the spark plugs and see I f they show any thing. While I am at it I am going to change the oxygen sensors. The car is running real rich and idling kind of funny and I have let it go. Time for me to get at some of this stuff. :D

Hey Tim I had a 93 that had that problem and it turned out to be that the dip stick tube was bent just enough that when you got on the gas the dip stick hit the crank just a tinny bit but pushed it up. The fix was to bend the tube up just a little. I guess its just that close to the crank. If you bolted you dip stick tube up to a diffent exhaust manifold bolt this would happen also. Most of the time they just tick like a bad bearing bet its just the dipstick hitting the crank. This could be your problem as well?

I have a short piece of dip stick in the block. I also have a real dip stick to sheck the oil. Its a long story! :D

Ahh yes , I have had 2 like that as well. The crank ate the dip stick on both before I got them. :eek:

Back