Upshift Light ????

pepito6SC

I was reading over in the TBSCEC board that if the upshift light comes on when the engine is cranking over that the crank sensor is bad...is this correct?

I believe the indicator is that the light comes on and stays on the entire time the engine is cranking, as opposed to coming on and going off a moment later...

i dont remember if it stayed on while cranking (lost a crank sensor about 2 weeks ago) but the upshift light came on while i was driving it, just as it lost power, it stalled about 5 seconds later and wouldnt restart.

Sounds like a bad crank sensor.

Crank over the engine while watching the light. If it goes out while cranking the crank sensor is not your problem.

If the light stays on while cranking, the crank sensor is bad.

Aaron

I was doing bout 130 coming from Las Vegas in my 90 2 years ago. The light came on while I was in 4th still accelerating, shifted to 5th and went out. Seems to have fulfilled its purpose at the time. Why doesn't it work as intended during normal driving?

It sounds like what you described was the light working during normal driving. It's only supposed to come on to tell you to shift when your rpm's are getting too high...

Sounds like a bad crank sensor.

Crank over the engine while watching the light. If it goes out while cranking the crank sensor is not your problem.

If the light stays on while cranking, the crank sensor is bad.

Aaron

what if its lit but dimly compared to the rest of the lights around it. Like not out but also not fully lit like when your not cranking

Back