Automatic seat belts in my 91

aplvlydrtybird

SO my drivers side auto seat belt is stuck in the forward position so it is in no was goign to save me in a crash. it doesnt go back, and i want to just get a harness. when i have it plugged in it makes this really loud groaning noise for a very long time..assuming that the motor is shot...but now that i have it unplugged there is this damn dinging noise, and i want to know how to get rid of it, so i can just run a harness instead of the auto seatbelt. thanks guys

If you pull the rear panel by the passenger seat you can access the motor for the seatbelt track.

There is a way to crank it back from the motor once you have access. It's likely the gear or the nylon strap that holds the latch has broken.

If you crank it back you can pull the wires and it'll be effectively locked there.

thanks i will do that, hey did you ever put that clutch in your car??? and what one did you go with if you did? we should meet up sometime, i got air ride on my car now. just let me know if you want to

I ordered the spec stage 2 with lightened pressure plate and lightweight flywheel.

Car is currently in pieces in the garage with pistons currently on it's roof. We'll have to meet up once I get some free time.

To the topic, I've had good luck finding auto belts at the U-pull it lot in Rosemount. Any pre 94 cougar or tbird on the lot will have them. Like $15 for the entire track plus the motor.

Mike8675309 said:
I ordered the spec stage 2 with lightened pressure plate and lightweight flywheel.

Car is currently in pieces in the garage with pistons currently on it's roof. We'll have to meet up once I get some free time.

To the topic, I've had good luck finding auto belts at the U-pull it lot in Rosemount. Any pre 94 cougar or tbird on the lot will have them. Like $15 for the entire track plus the motor.

cool, well i'll try your trick first, if it doenst go back and forth thats fine with me, just hate that damn dinging noise, going to drive me crazy.

so where did you get your parts for the rebuild? any reason why the rebuild or just freshening her up?

No parts ordered yet for the most part. I'm going to likely order my ARP hardware from Summit. Going to check with MAS in St. Paul first for that and sourcing Felpro/Sealed Power parts at a good price. Otherwise that might be summit as well.

I looked at Northern but their kit with oil pump is the stock replacement, not the upgraded unit. So I'm going to be piecing it together a bit. Probably will cost me a bit more, but then I know what I have and feel confident in it. So I'm kinda micro-managing the rebuild. The block will be at Murgics shortly then I'll know the pistons I need to get.

I don't intend to try to push over 400rwhp, so the rebuild is simply to get me back into tollerances and support modest power increases. It's not going to be a heads up drag car, just a car I can have fun with on the weekends and drive reliably every day.

in mine the big nylon gear went bad i found it easier to replace the gear than the whole track my seatbelt got stuck and stripped the gear so lube the track and grt it unstuck before putting in new gear also spray your door latch with oil or wd

Last edited:
Mike8675309 said:
No parts ordered yet for the most part. I'm going to likely order my ARP hardware from Summit. Going to check with MAS in St. Paul first for that and sourcing Felpro/Sealed Power parts at a good price. Otherwise that might be summit as well.

I looked at Northern but their kit with oil pump is the stock replacement, not the upgraded unit. So I'm going to be piecing it together a bit. Probably will cost me a bit more, but then I know what I have and feel confident in it. So I'm kinda micro-managing the rebuild. The block will be at Murgics shortly then I'll know the pistons I need to get.

I don't intend to try to push over 400rwhp, so the rebuild is simply to get me back into tollerances and support modest power increases. It's not going to be a heads up drag car, just a car I can have fun with on the weekends and drive reliably every day.

Murgics does good work, i had them bore my engine, and balance everything, put the new pistons on the rods, press in arp studs and throw in the cam bearings for a very reasonable price.

we'll be cruising university tonight if you ever go up there to see all the cars.

Delete Them And Put Canadian Interior Or 94+ Sail Panels And Seatbelts In. Youll Be Much Happier In The Long Run.

i fixed it the plastic track was bent so i straightened it and rewound it back and just unplugged it, so it is still functional as a seatbelt, but does not go forward or back. thanks for the help though guys.

im soooo glad i bought my SC from ontario and dont have to deal with auto belts, my old tempo had them and my old man (bigger dude) got in it and ruined them the first day i got the car by sitting on them. i got so pissed but not as pissed as when i came home with my 89 LS cougar and he broke the auto belts in that car within the first week. after that i started locking my vehicles in the driveway..... :rolleyes:

wigglesrewind said:
im soooo glad i bought my SC from ontario and dont have to deal with auto belts,
Wasn't there an Federal Reg issue with this...problems registering SC's in the US with the canadian belts in them?????

Sweet90SC said:
Wasn't there an Federal Reg issue with this...problems registering SC's in the US with the canadian belts in them?????

Nope... it be the other way around. Those auto belts are no longer allowed up here since the mid 90's I think.

Frit

fturner said:
Nope... it be the other way around. Those auto belts are no longer allowed up here since the mid 90's I think.

Frit

correct, the reason canadian cars have regular belts is because auto belts are considered a safety hazard up there. Luuuckyyyy! (napolean dynamite voice)

they pretty much let me drive my bird right into the states, i had to fill out a couple forms and that was it. no taxes, no hassles.

wigglesrewind said:
correct, the reason canadian cars have regular belts is because auto belts are considered a safety hazard up there. Luuuckyyyy! (napolean dynamite voice)

they pretty much let me drive my bird right into the states, i had to fill out a couple forms and that was it. no taxes, no hassles.

Actually not quite so lucky, cause its VERY hard to go south, get an SC thats in excellent condition body wise and bring it up here, and restore it with a motor etc that we have here :( .

Frit

Back