Filling in Ports on the M90

seawalkersee

Now that I have your attention, a while ago there was a discussion on welding the silencing (think thats what they are called) ports inside the blower. I do not know ifn anyone had gone through with this. I am just trying to get an idea of the pain I am going to have to go through to get the new blower ...as they say...up to speed. If I am not mistaken there was supposed to be a theoretical gain. ANYONE?

Chris

For a second there I thought we were going to have another on of those threads like the one in the non tech forum not long ago lol!

Shane

You cant weld them because it distorts the case from the heat. I closed mine and all it really did was make the blower louder. Its not a noticeable gain, but its something you would have to do with a before after test on the dyno or at the track.

I'm gonna do it, but i am giong to use the 1400 dgree aluminum filled epoxy from mcmaster car...
I am gioing to embed a stiff piece of wire or something in there, as to try and keep it from breaking apart... Hopefully if it breaks off, it will break as one piece, and end up in the IC and not sucked back in the blower...

There was a good thread about it earlier...
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17004&highlight=blower+sound+welded+shut

I am also going to use it on the SC inlet.

The Inlet tube will be welded and ported bigger, I aint got to worry too much about welding on it... but I don't want to warp a blower case...

Last edited:
They are there for a reason and its not totally sound control. Filling them in is about the same as running a motor without the harmonic dampner.

There was a great discussion on this..And finally laid to rest with documentation that the slits are truly for silencing only...You can hear my m90 around the block:O)

DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:
There was a great discussion on this..And finally laid to rest with documentation that the slits are truly for silencing only...You can hear my m90 around the block:O)

Do you have any of those thread links handy?

I have read several, but can't find the one I wanted to see again....

Thanks!

Bkb

They added these ports to decrease the sound...Same reason they add an air silencer in the intake and mufflers/resonator to the exhaust...

They wanted a quiet car

slits..

I have a blower from Magnum Powers that has the slits filled. It appears they used aluminum and an epoxy to fill the slits. Have not used the blower yet though.

CMac89 said:
You cant weld them because it distorts the case from the heat.
My older brother tig welded the sound ports shut for me on two blowers. No problems with distortion on either one. On my current blower I closed them with some tig rod and Hysol. We'll see how it works.

Darkside said:
My older brother tig welded the sound ports shut for me on two blowers. No problems with distortion on either one. On my current blower I closed them with some tig rod and Hysol. We'll see how it works.
Tig welding doesnt involve as much heat as a mig, so that would be fine. If you MIG welded it then the case would distort.

Sound port video

This address has a car with the sound ports closed up. It's Sweet!!

quick35th said:
Your link does not work :(

Shane
Yeah, I checked it and it didn't work. I guess its just outdated. :(

The blower is extremeley loud on that car though. You can hear it half a mile away.

My condolences for you not being able to see it.

So I think the question now is...is the addition of plates over the silencer holes worth the extra heat and pulses in the engine?

Chris

They are called sound ports because ford wanted to quiet the blower down and that sacrificed efficiency.

It's easy to do so I dont see why you wouldnt. I don't if it helped my car out yet because I'm having problems with my car.

I dont have access to a tig machine (and it has been YEARS since I have tig welded) and I am poor for now. Is it an efficency game? It seems like there is a small trade off and I wonder if it is worth it.

Chris

seawalkersee said:
I dont have access to a tig machine (and it has been YEARS since I have tig welded) and I am poor for now. Is it an efficency game? It seems like there is a small trade off and I wonder if it is worth it.

Chris
It is an efficiency gain in fact.

Just think about it.... If you close of the sound ports it allows the blower to create more compression. The reason for teflon coated rotors is to create tighter clearances which makes more compression inside the blowers case. The compression idea for the sound ports being closed is the same thing.

You dont need to tig it. What you do is take real rough sandpaper and make the surface around the sound port and inside of it verrrry rough. After you do this clean it off with carb cleaner to make it oil free. Then I took liquid aluminum metal filler to fill the ports in, let it dry and sanded it flat. After that, I put JB Weld over the top of that, let it dry then sanded that down. Finally, I put some Stick Weld epoxy with clean hands and molded that over the top of what all I sanded down.

Works like a champ....No problems at all. :)

Back