Solid Motor Mounts

Quick Cat 89

:mad: I am in desparate need of solid motor mounts. The engine is rubbing a groove in the oil pan and eventually will probably cause more sever damage. I have a set of the solid rubber motor mounts and i am having a hard time getting the old ones off. i was just wondering if there is a little hint or some ideas as to an easier way to get the old ones off and the new ones on or if they are just pretty much a pain in the ase. any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated!!!! :mad:

Quick Cat 89 said:
:mad: I am in desparate need of solid motor mounts. The engine is rubbing a groove in the oil pan and eventually will probably cause more sever damage. I have a set of the solid rubber motor mounts and i am having a hard time getting the old ones off. i was just wondering if there is a little hint or some ideas as to an easier way to get the old ones off and the new ones on or if they are just pretty much a pain in the ase. any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated!!!! :mad:

If I am not mistaken, the easiest way to remove the old mounts is to lower the subframe as far as you can without removing the two bolts entirely (ONE SIDE AT A TIME!!!!), and lift the engine as far as you can... ONCE YOU GET THE MOUNT OUT, AND THE NEW ONE IN, TIGHTEN THE SUBFRAME AS CLOSE TO THE SAME LOCATION AS THEY WERE ORIGINALLY... This shouldn't be a real big deal because you will have the other side tight and it should keep it from moving around, but I still HIGHLY recommend you get a front wheel alignment after you are done.

Good luck!!

I have found it easier to just move everything out of the way over the years.

Move the A/C compressor, tie it off to the side, don't unhook the lines! Pull the entire power steering/alternator bracket as one piece. I went ahead and removed IC tubes....

This would also be a good time to port the exhaust manifolds, and change plugs IMO... If not already done.

Then jack the engine up using a wood block under the oilpan a little, and they should be easy to get to.

I can't stress this enough, use good 6 point sockets on the motor mount bolts! You will have a time getting them off if you don't!

The last set I did, someone else had attemted the job before I, and they were already rounded off.. Use plenty of penetrant like "PB blaster" and allow it time to soak in before dissasembly.

Goog luck!

Back