JLT "True Cold Air" to make induction system for supercoupes!

metalman

I had contact JLT a few months ago about a kit for the SC's. He didn't have one, but wanted to make one. So today, he used my car as the test mule and mocked up a 3" Interior Diameter CAI for our cars. From my brief conversation with him today, there is no bend before the MAF. For comparison, the 2003 Cobra are seeing up to a 28 RWHP gain on the dyno! :eek: The pipes are not alumium, they are PVC. The thermal properties of PVC are not nearly as heat transferable as aluminum (Which is a vertual heat soak. So the cold air coming inside will stay cold.

He had a great back page write up in last months Mustang Mag. His CAI's are also painted and clearcoated to whatever color you want.

My car should be at the dyno in two weeks to measure the gains.

Here is his website. http://www.jlttruecoldair.com His website says "4 inch diameter pipes". We'll, unfortunately a 4 inch pipe will not physically fit in our cars. So he used 3".

When more info comes, I will be sure to post it.

Metalman

Last edited:
wow, i'd definitly like to know what you get for HP gains with that on your SC, i'd definitly be interested, let me know when he puts them up for sale and what u get for results

NJTACC here and INTERESTED!!!!!!!!!

The New Jersey guys are VERY interested in hearing about this.

Please post when and if this is available. Also good if cost is less than MAC. Should be since using PVC.....

I am VERY interested in this one.

Definitely keep us posted with pics, prices, and the Dyno numbers too!

Not only is the quality of the kit top-notch as well as some of the best performance gains, Jay is a really nice guy. You should tell him about the SCCoA. He posts frequently on SVTPerformance.com for feedback and tech support. He would most likely do the same here if there is a big enough market for the product.

Last edited:
Prototype CAI...

Please be sure to inform him of the following:
Size difference for different model years, MAF's/ Throttle Bodies;
89-93>60mm Stock size TB/MAF
94-95>70mm Stock size TB/MAF
Aftermarket TB & MAF's can range in size from 70mm,73mm,75mm,80mm, all the way up to 85mm. Some have varying sizes of MAF/TB's.
A wide variety of Adaptors must be available to match up to the sizes that the customer is running.
Typically, there is not a lot of call for early model (60mm) sizes. Thats what the upgrades are all about. One version should fit 70, 73, and 75mm.The other version should fit 80 and 85mm sizes for the high HP guys.
Both should have some type of Fender well blocker plate included.

No where did I find on his website any mention of what the kit costs for the Mustangs or Lightnings. $$?? Other companies offer these CAI kits for as low as 130. If he can get this out to us for around 150 Complete(with 9" K&N Cone Filter), I think that he will see exactly how many SC enthusiasts are out here. As a baseline, you should mention how many hits per month this site receives. The numbers are pretty astounding. This is a very strong club, both in numbers and dedication.
This concept is a good one. Plastic does transfer less heat to the airflow than metal. It is also far easier to bend. It may weigh a bit more than a thin tube, but in this length, it really doesn't matter. Bear in mind though, that repeated under-hood high temperatures can result in PVC cracking if it has thin wall thickness.
Please keep us all posted as you "work out the bugs"...... Thanks!

His prices are on his website under "products". The Cobra kits are $150 in black w/ an apron plate. For any other color it's $175.

The Lightening is $85 in black and $100 in color. His prices seem to depend on the length of the tubing...which makes perfect sense. The Maruader kit is the least expensive at $65 in black and $80 in color.

...I'll have pics coming soon...

Pics!!!

It's all self-explanitory. The only alteration you have to do is cut the wire loom to get more play in the MAF wires. As you can see the MAF is connected right to the filter. For the development, Jay just unplugged my "Low Radiator" sensor to get the MAF down there.

And for reference, I have a 75mm Pro-M MAF and a 70MM BBK throttle body.
It is not on my car now and has not been driven with it on. The dyno will be set up for next week.

I love it.

What do ya think?

Attachments

• pipe340.jpg
    pipe340.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 374
  • pipe342.jpg
    pipe342.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 497
  • pipe345.jpg
    pipe345.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 452
  • pipe346.jpg
    pipe346.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 484
The new 85mm C&L is suppossed to work without reversion in these applications..But who knows

Anyway the way he routed it you should be able to go 3.5 inches. Id actually perfer in teh engine compartment with less bends and a sheild for th mass air e.

Can he make something like that >?

I would think it should be easy enough to make it a 2 piece set up putting the MAF further upstream where there are no bends.

looks good, i really wanna see the dyno results, and if he can make a 3.5" model for around 150 i think he'd do quite well in sales. This is really cool!! keep us updated

Back