whats the best intake??

Boomin Boy

i like the look of the ZR motorsports and many people like them, but ive read that having a bend in the intake tube causes problems.

what would you suggest i get?

i hear that the MAC is good but is there a special application for supercoupes because all i find on it is mustang applications...or does it fit both??

ANY intake that is pulling cold air from outside the engine compartment is gonna have a bend. I have the MAC CAI, which some people feel has bend that is too severe. All I can say about it, is that it works great on my 90 SC, I like it, and I'm glad I bought it. On the other hand the ZR has less of a bend, and is probably one of the better choices. Just stay clear of the systems that get the air from the engine compartment, and a bend in the CAI is not the end of the world. Here's a pic of the MAC. It was 179 bucks, and as I said, I'll stick with it...sounds great too!
What people say about the bend is that it will make your car run rich, but I have never had ANY problem with the MAC, and it has a MORE aggressive bend than the ZR does. IMO, just buy the ZR, or a Mac. As far as I know there is not an intake made that does not have some type of bend in it, and again IN MY OPINION, people make way too big of a deal on the bends. YES a straight-shot to the TB would be great, but I really doubt that's gonna happen anytime soon!
-Jeff
PS-I thought you asked this before?? Maybe I have you confused with someone else...good luck Boom

CAI.jpg

The MAC application is part #3604. You have to download the Mac catalog from the webpage, it's about half way down, on the left side. It says something like "download entire 2002 catalog." It's in PDF format, so you need Adobe Acrobat to view the file. It's free on the web if you don't already have it. The 3604 is made for the SC, and it fit perfectly.
-Jeff

PS-I uploaded the catalog to my server, so just click
HERE to download the PDF file....figured it might be easier than searching for it!

Last edited:
cai

I have the Desencharger (I think that is how yuo spell it!). It isn't chrome and shiny, it is black pvc and does a very good job. Paid $120 off of Ebay from Stephen Christ. I Love it!

I've got the ZR and no complaints. I think the MAC looks better but my friend with a MAC thinks the ZR is better.

I think you will be happy with either one. Here is a pic of mine with the ZR.

BTW, The MAC intake is the one with sharp bends.

engine.jpg

David

Last edited:
I hear ya Dave!

[COLOR=666699]Dave, I have the MAC, and I think it's appearance is nicer than the ZR, however I think the ZR probably is a better choice performance wise. I honestly didn't even know about the ZR when I bought the MAC, and I'm kinda glad it happened that way cause if I did, it might have taken me 2 months to decide on which to buy! How much was the ZR anyway?
-Jeff

PS-There was a bunch of good info from the last thread you posted on this, here's the
LINK, and here's the LINK to the Densecharger system as well.
[/color]

Last edited:
Jeff,

I bought mine over a year ago back when John Zinn was making them. I paid about $200 for one with a 7" filter.

I think Kris Campos (sp?) is now supplying the ZR intake and sells them for about the same price.

David

[COLOR=666699] Well Boomer....I IMHO I think you should go for the ZR. It's roughly around the same money, and I think you'll be real happy with it. Now go out and buy the damn thing already will ya!!!
-Jeff

PS-Thanks for the info Dave. If I ever buy a new one, the ZR will be it.[/COLOR]
:D

Densecharger Question

To use the Densecharger, do you have to have a different MAF? I still have a fairly stock engine- just a K&N panel and removed silencer. And would the Densecharger work on a 3.8 N/A?

Thanks
-Andy "Melon"

[COLOR=666699] Andy,
The Densecharger utilizes the stock MAF, however if you have a 89-91 the MAF is only a 55mm, so if your car is within these years you might want to pick up a late model MAF...they went to 70mm in 92, but you can use your old electronics in the new MAF. As far as the 3.8 NA, as long as it's basically the same set up for the air intake as the SC, it should work just fine, but I don't know how the fuel/air mixture would work out....like if there would be any questions on it running lean, or rich.
-Jeff[/COLOR]

I've got a 91 so if it wouldn't fit, could I just get a MAF from a 92 'Bird and it would just be "plug and play" so to speak. The 70mm MAF would connect up to the current air intake hose from the engine, right? Would I benefit from having the bigger MAF whether I get the densecharger or not?

And as far as running rich or lean, if I get it and don't like it, I'll try it on my dad's SC and see how it runs on it.

Thanks.
-Andy "Melon"

[COLOR=666699]Andy,
If you got an MAF from a 92 or above (70mm) all you would do is remove the two screws holding the MAF sensor in your current MAF, and swap it into the bigger MAF. Gotta be careful though, it's a filament-like little wire. As far as it fitting the hose, it is the same size as the 55mm on the openings, so yes it will fit. What this is gonna do for you is get more air into your throttle body, and let it breathe easier. If you do the MAF or CAI swap, be sure to disconnect the battery so as to let the computer do a "relearn" for the different size MAF, and the CAI. If you don't go with a bigger MAF, and get the CAI, IMO you would be defeating the purpose of getting the CAI. It would still be better, but it would choke off some of the cold air you could be utilizing.

-Jeff

PS-The later model MAF's usually have the little "security torx" screws holding it in, so you'll need to pick up the special torx bit... (hardware store, radio shack?) [/COLOR]

:cool:

OK - I'll look for a 70mm MAF to swap with my 55mm MAF. If I get the new MAF before the CAI, should I wait on the swap or would I benefit from the bigger MAF? Thanks for all the help. I'm not too knowledgeable with the engines.

-Andy "Melon"

No Problem Mon!

[COLOR=666699]You could still put it in Andy. It might even show you some power in the pedal! There's also an MN-12 70mm MAF Modification that can be done to the late model stock MAF. No problem on the questions, happy to help. You can always drop me an EMAIL if you have any other questions, rather than loading the board with numerous posts!
-Jeff[/COLOR]

Back