Pistons and Rods

SupachargedSC

Hi I had a few questions about what piston and rod combos work together. I am on my second rebuilt engine and both have had slightly bent rods and worn rod bearings, the mains have always been fine. Is there a piston that is reasonably priced that will work with the 351W rods? I am in the 360 hp range and I run a 50 shot on top of that to cool the air at the track. Is there a hyper piston that will work or am I looking at hi doller forged slugs?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Hopefully I'll be getting my hyper pistons in a few weeks. I'll take some pictures and measurements for some of the more technically savy folks here to look at.

The point is to see if some feel that it would be possible to get the Sealed Power Hyper stock replacement pistons, and use 351w rods by machining the top of the piston down a bit to compensate for the longer rod.

Hopefully we can come to some sort of concensus then. I'll be going with stock rods and Sealed Power pistons personally. Have you confirmed that the bent rods are due to horsepower and not really due to detonation problems?

The rods arent bent that much you cant really tell unless you measure or compair to another rod but the fact that they are bending at all is what concerns me. The engine runs great the A/F is good and I have used the same pistons twice they still look good, it has a good tune. I think they are bending from Rpms and Hp I shift at 6k+ when at the track on the juice. I guess I am gonna have to drop 1k on a set of forged pistons and rods.
Thanks for the info and let me know what you fine out about hyper pistons and 351 rods.

Last edited:
You may want to contact XR7 Dave and see what he suggests. He's been doing pretty good at figuring out these motors and he might have some suggestions for you before you drop big money on pistons.

Note there is a group buy trying to get started over in the group buy forum for Diamond Forged Pistons so it may not be quite as pricy as you think.

Back