Headlight Removal

bluebird

How? I know that this is a dumb question but how do you remove the headlights? I see a few different options but I cant seem to make it work. I also just watched a piece of my header panel disentergrate in my hands. Now I dont have anything to mount my side light to.........this is gonna start getting ghetto in a second!! :mad:

bluebird said:
How? I know that this is a dumb question but how do you remove the headlights? I see a few different options but I cant seem to make it work. I also just watched a piece of my header panel disentergrate in my hands. Now I dont have anything to mount my side light to.........this is gonna start getting ghetto in a second!! :mad:

On each side of the headlamps, there are metal clips which hold then to the header panel. Lift and pull up, the metal tabs will come out and then you can remove the lamps.

unclenick said:
On each side of the headlamps, there are metal clips which hold then to the header panel. Lift and pull up, the metal tabs will come out and then you can remove the lamps.

would you be referring to the metal clips with what looks like little wings on the side? Do I lift or move the wings, or just break the contact of the metal thingy with the panel? thanks

bluebird said:
would you be referring to the metal clips with what looks like little wings on the side? Do I lift or move the wings, or just break the contact of the metal thingy with the panel? thanks

Yes, the tabs look like a "L" shaped bracket, lift and remove. Then unplug harness for lamps and push gently out with headlamp assy.

The black things you see that the steel shafts go through are part of the headlamp assembly. They have a grove molded into them that the metal clips slip into when the black parts are pushed through the holes in the header panel.

Thus use a needle nose pliers or a flat blade screw driver to force those metal pieces out of the grooves on the black parts.

It's a snap

Mike8675309 said:
Thus use a needle nose pliers or a flat blade screw driver to force those metal pieces out of the grooves on the black parts.

I use spreader snap ring pliers with 90 degree tips to open the three clips holding the headlamp assembly to the header panel - then pull them up with needle nose pliers. Still busted a couple stubborn ones.

Eddie
'90 5-speed SC
'97 LX Sport

Back