Got Nailed

Scott Long

I was coming home from Virginia Beach last night after knocking back a few cold ones. I was getting onto I-64 from I-264 and there was this corrolla in front of me going slower than ****. So I am following him for a while. Well we get down between Indian River Rd. and Greenbrier Pkwy. exits and I decide to pass him. So I swing out into the left lane, pass him and then move back over to slow down and go about 58-60. Well as I'm passing him, I look in the turn-around in the median. Low and behold, Virginia State Police sitting there with his lights off. All of a sudden he turns on his head lights and pulls out. I'm like "****". I have Black Sunshine by Rob Zombie playing on the stereo, if you know the song, kind of gets the adrenaline going. Anyways I get into the turn lane for the Greenbrier Pkwy. exit and he hits his lights. So I stop.

I roll the drivers side window down, turn on my interior lights, and pop a breath mint in my mouth so I don't smell like Vodka. I am not drunk, but I don't want to be accused of it. He walks up to my passenger window and starts tapping on it. I roll the window down and he says "License and registration please". So I hand him the paper work. He says "do you know how fast you were going?" "Yes sir, 65 mph" he told me he clocked me going 72mph. He said "do you know what the speed limit is out here?" and I said "yes sir, 65 mph" to which he replied, "no sir, its only 55 mph, and its posted frequently." I told him I was from Michigan where its 70, and most states now are 65 mph on the interstate if not 70, that I didn't see a sign from where I got on at Indian River Rd (none of his business where I got on at) and that every time I am out here in traffic I go 65 mph and people fly by me like I'm in reverse. He said "are you in the military?" and I told him "no sir". I wonder if I said I was in delayed entry if he'd have cut me some slack? I have a recruiters business card in my wallet also for the Air Force, I wasn't thinking about it at the time though. He says "I'm going to write you for 70 in a 55 zone". "Thanks....... dick."

He walks back up to my car, this time on the drivers side, and hands me my ticket and asks me for my autograph. Then he starts asking questions about my car. He says "your tint is awefully dark, is it legal in Michigan?" "yes sir, I have never been hassled about it" (truth is I've got 2 tickets in the past 4.5 years for it) and I told him I bought the car in Indiana and they have no restrictions on tint as far as I know. Then he sees my red toggle switch next to my head light switch and asks "whats the red switch for" and I told him "my cooling fan motor burned out and I replaced it, then it never came on, so I wired it to a switch and a relay so I can control the fan if the engine starts to heat up" he gave me a puzzled look, and then said "you do know that it is illegal to operate a nitrous oxide system on a public road". I said "yes sir I'm well aware of that, and I do not have a nitrous system on my car" so I flipped the switch and he heard the fan start spinning under the hood and said "fine". Then he tells me I have to appear in court at 9:00 am on May 13, 2005. And I need to contact the court to find out how much the fine is. 15 over, want to bet its about $110-130 dollars?

Glad he didn't ask me for my insurance paperwork cuz I don't have an up to date one here, I left before this one expired, so the current one is probably in my stack of mail back in Michigan. I told him I was on vacation and wouldn't be here on the 13th, so he told me to contact the court and make arrangements with them.

Then I hear an add on the radio for Gordon Zed, get yourself out of a sticky traffic situation. I wonder if hiring a lawyer is worth the money, or if I should just say **** it and pay the good ol' commonwealth of Virginia and watch my *** from now on. I'm thinking I'll just pay the damn fine. I have been trying to get my driving record to clear up, and if I'm good through next February I'll have no more points on my license. Do any of you know if Virginia will report this to the Michigan DMV? I am like 5 states away. I thought only neighboring states contacted your DMV. Is there any way an out of state driver that is cited can take a traffic safety class or something to get the points waived?

I usually run my radar on the highway, and hide it behind my tint strip on the windshield and mount it above my mirror. But tonight it was in the glove box. Maybe it would have helped me (unless he did that instant on ****) or maybe it would have got me another fine and confiscated.

Attachments

• s Finest.jpg
    s Finest.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
that just sucks...don't you just love that stretch btw. 64-264 split and Greenbriar Pkwy...there's usually a grey unmarked Chrysler working out there....I think the fine is $7 per mile over plus court cost of $75....ask Mike Cate about it,he could probably tell you more.

z

z90sc said:
that just sucks...don't you just love that stretch btw. 64-264 split and Greenbriar Pkwy...there's usually a grey unmarked Chrysler working out there....I think the fine is $7 per mile over plus court cost of $75....ask Mike Cate about it,he could probably tell you more.

z

They'll usually leave you alone there right up to 65mph. They got my daughter there last October. 87 in a 55, & reckless driving. We hired an attorney for that, only because it was reckless. She was lucky to have a good attorney & a good judge that day, because he dropped it since it was her 1st offense. If you intend to fight it, go get a speedometer calibration. There's a place off Battlefield that will do it, & fudge the #'s a bit in your favor. You might get off with a fine for defective equipment. I don't think they take points off for that.

Back