ABS & Brake Light prob revisited

FLBlackBird

I have recently purchased my first SC and have been reading the technical forum with much interest.

I have read alot about the ABS and accumulator problems lately. I am having a very similar problem, but with a twist that I have not noticed anyone else mention.

First, I noticed the problem with the brake pedal going about an inch and being hard to push, but no lights. Today I removed the instrument cluster to check the bulbs and found that the ABS and brake light bulbs were removed. I installed new ones today and found a series of issues with the lights.

My brake problem is intermittent. Sometimes when I turn the key on, the brakes appear fine, other times the lights remain on. When they remain on, the problem is the same as everyone else has mentioned, hard pedal, hard braking, etc.

When my brakes are working fine, I find that when I hit the brakes, both the ABS and Brake light come on, then go off Brake light first then ABS.

I replaced the ABS relay today. That did not solve any problem. Last weekend I had replaced all the brake pads, and bled the entire brake system because the fluid was very dark.

I did listen for the pump, and it comes on then shuts off until I pump the brakes again.

Any recomendations on where to look next?

I am looking forward to being an active part on this forum.

Thanks.
Rick

Accumulator

If the pump runs everytime you push the brake, its most likely the accumulator. I had the exact same problem, dropped in a new accumulator, problem solved. The accumulator's around $400 from the dealer. make sure you look for leaks and check your fluid level first. If I were you I would replace it asap, I've heard of ABS-pumps failing, leaving almost no brakes. :eek: find the abs accumulator replacement post, it made me hate life less.

Tyler
1990 Thunderbird

Last edited:
Accumulator

Tickler said:
If the pump runs everytime you push the brake, its most likely the accumulator. I had the exact same problem, dropped in a new accumulator, problem solved. The accumulator's around $400 from the dealer. make sure you look for leaks and check your fluid level first. If I were you I would replace it asap, I've heard of ABS-pumps failing, leaving almost no brakes. :eek: find the abs accumulator replacement post, it made me hate life less.

Tyler
1990 Thunderbird

Thanks Tickler. I will look into one today. It gets exciting immediately when the ABS and brakes stop working.

ABS Relay

Brando B said:
Does anyone know the part number for the ABS relay?

Brando

Brando, the part number from Autozone is #MR120. This was made by GP Sorensen. One of the stores locally actually had it in stock. It ran $11.95 or there about, plus tax.

On another note. I continued tracking my problem, and found like someone mentioned in another post, that my ignition switch is also part of my problem. Seems there is play in the "on" position. When turned a little toward the "Start" position, my brakes quit working, plus my climate control stops working. If I turn it back toward the "Off" position the brakes and climate control work fine. Although the brake and ABS light still go on and off if I hit the brakes anything other than lightly, like a sudden stab sets them off. But the brakes do work properly when the lights go on then off. So I am looking at replacing my accumulator, assuming that it is not holding proper pressure, and also replacing out the ignition switch. Any ideas on the price of the new ignition switch? I am thinking about replacing the accumulator with a new one from Ford. Seems that they at least last longer than rebuilts, based on the number of comments about replacing them again a year or so later. Any thoughts?

Back