do i? doing this tommrow so need fast answers!

super89

when do i put my trans fluid in before or after i lift in in my car and where do i put it in at?yes this is a dumb question but i have no clue what to do whit out a manual.pics would be great but if not that is fine.and i have a 89 5 speed.

You can put the fluid in after you get the transmission in the car. There should be a dipstick on the front right of the trans that will sit just in front of the firewall. You can use a funnel to put in the fluid. Good luck.

Trans installed in car. Car as level as possible. There is a plug marked "Fill" on the drivers side of the trans. Add fluid until it is even with the bottom of the fill hole. Use the correct fluid. Ford calls for auto trans fluid not gear oil as many other manual transmissions use.

Seems to me it would be MUCH easier to fill before you put your trans in unless you have a nice pump or other tool to fill with. If you over fill it a bit SIMPLE...Just remove the fill plug after its installed and the excess with expell.

Brad

5 spd

I filled mine through the shifter housing from the inside of the car, take the fill plug out and fill to the threads, from inside, get someone to watch under the car for you. My .02 See ya Mike

Last edited:
littleboylan said:
I filled mine through the shifter housing from the inside of the car, take the fill plug out and fill to the threads, from inside, get someone to watch under the car for you. My .02 See ya Mike

how many bottles do i need of trans fluid and how many of friction modifier do i need?

Around Three Bottles Will Do It W/ Some Left Over. Ive Heard People Raving About Gm Syynchromesh In The M5r2 5 Spd, But Ive Never Used It Myself.

Redline

I used the Redline D4 Synthetic, I think thats what it was. I did not use any friction modifier at all, I have not had one problem yet. Its been over a year since I got my rebuild. I think that I used 3 whole bottles and a portion of the fourth. Search around and youll find exact amount so you can calculate how many bottles you need. Mike

I used Royal Purple. The thing was grinding in second with the atf in it and I could not get it to go into first without going into 3rd then 2nd. I put the RP in it and it made a WORLD of difference. So the stuff is a bit on the spendy siide but you wont have any worries.

Chris

cudaz101 said:
Seems to me it would be MUCH easier to fill before you put your trans in unless you have a nice pump or other tool to fill with. If you over fill it a bit SIMPLE...Just remove the fill plug after its installed and the excess with expell.
Brad

Brad it is easier to fill it before putting it in the car, if you have an old yoke or tranny plug to close off the rear output shaft. If not the fluid will leak out the rear of the tranny when at a downward angle.

super89 said:
how many bottles do i need of trans fluid and how many of friction modifier do i need?

It needs 3 liters or around 6.3 pints. Just a small bottle like you put in the rear end is all the friction modifier you need. I don't think you will need the modifer with the royal purple or red line fluids, but will need it for any normal AT fluid.

I used B&M trick shift synthetic. Best my local parts stores had. I also used Fords friction modifier. One bottle. I used it because I don't know if I have fiber or brass rings.

Back