how important is the drive shaft loop

ricardoa1

How important is the drive shaft loop on our cars? While trying to remove the drive shaft I was taking the front black loop, and one of the bolts broke :mad: We still have a secondary loop near the rear yolk. Is the front one really neccesary? I can still put one of the bolts on tight but it won't have support on the other side. This car sucks to work on. Now I know what Randy was talking about. I feel your pain buddy.

ever see a pole vault jumper????

Just think of what you car would do if the front U-joint broke and the drive shaft stuck itself into the ground....

Ripped the Front Slip Yoke Off

89FORCEFED95 said:
Just think of what you car would do if the front U-joint broke and the drive shaft stuck itself into the ground....
I was at the strip one day with a bunch of SC Guys. When I launched, I ripped the front slip yoke off the U-Joint. The front drive shaft loop(?) kept the drive shaft from jammin' into the ground. Sooooooo, yeah, I'd say it's a pretty important piece to have on the car.

68COUGAR

89FORCEFED95 said:
Another concern is the fact that the fuel tank stradles the drive shaft.. if a ujoint breaks, it could easily cause a nasty fire. ;)

So now what? the bolt is broken in the threads. I dont have a torch to blow it out. There is a little bit exposed is there a tool that can take the bolt out? this thing is a grade 8 bolt I think. :confused:

Oh and BTW I have an aluminum drive shaft and will have about 400HP on tap.

Last edited:
front end

ricardoa1 said:
So now what? the bolt is broken in the threads. I dont have a torch to blow it out. There is a little bit exposed is there a tool that can take the bolt out? this thing is a grade 8 bolt I think. :confused:

Oh and BTW I have an aluminum drive shaft and will have about 400HP on tap.
where did you find that front end

silver92 said:
are able to put an after market one on it. is that front air dam available still

Its a xenon GFX with a 96 bumper on it. I no longer have this combo. I went back to stock with a Kobel air dam. I kept my HL though.

Ok I went to sears and got this
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00952165000

Please someone let me know how to prep this bolt. I have penetrating lube and a household torch I have and old electric impact gun that has nearly no torque. Do I heat it up and then spray the lube on or do I spray let sit and then heat it up. I need your tricks guys this remover is my last resort I need to make the best of it.

One thing you can try is penetrating oil and letting it sit for at least a day and then drilling the center of the bolt and using an EZ out. But be careful, if it doesn't start to turn with modest force, don't snap the EZout off. 2nd thing is try and drill all of the bolt out and use a helicoil. 3rd thing to try is just remount the loop in a different spot fore or aft slighlty from where its at. Nothing sacred about the metal in the loop, you could use 1 or more pieces of flat strap steel and 4 or more 1/4" sheet metal screws to make your own loop. :cool:

Back