Limited slip

matteo

How can I tell if I have limited slip or not? And how easy is it to convert to LSD if I don't? Thanks, Matt.

Jack up the rear of the car with both wheels off the ground. Put the trans in neutral. Grab either wheel and spin it.. if the other wheel follows in the same direction, you have a limited slip diff. If it spins in the opposite direction, you have either a worn out trak-lok or a normal diff. :cool:

Limited Slip or Open Diff?

matteo said:
How can I tell if I have limited slip or not? And how easy is it to convert to LSD if I don't? Thanks, Matt.
If you have a '89 - '93 SC, you have a Trac-Loc limited slip differential.
If you have a '94 - '95 SC, you have an Open differential & Electronic Traction Control.

However, the way to tell is: Get both your rear wheels up in the air. Rotate one rear tire by hand. If the other wheel rotates the OPPOSITE direction, you have an open diff. If the other wheel rotates in the same direction, you have have a limited slip or locking diff.

68COUGAR

68COUGAR said:
If you have a '89 - '93 SC, you have a Trac-Loc limited slip differential.
68COUGAR
i have a 92, but here's what happened: i rotated one tire and the other went the same direction, but my buddy was able to rotate the tire the opposite direction as the one i was turning with little resistance. does that mean anything?

also, what does trac-loc mean?

If you have a '94 - '95 SC, you have an Open differential & Electronic Traction Control.

If you have a 94/5 SC with an automatic transmission you have an open differential & Electronic Traction Control but if you have a 94/5 SC with a manual transmission you have a trac-loc (posi) differential.

DLF said:
Look on the diff tag, if there's an "L" as in 3L27, it's limited slip
where the diff tag? i was under my car yesterday poking around but i couldnt find it.

Back