AOD or 5spd?

hytorksc

In general, in a street driving situation, is the AOD faster than the 5spd? From a stop, a dig, and just overall? Any other opinions?

On the track, i thought an AOD is faster, but is it?

the 5spd seems to be much more fun to me as i have had both, but with an AR and AOD, i'm not so sure that a 5spd is more fun.

Last edited:
hytorksc said:
In general, in a street driving situation, is the AOD faster than the 5spd? From a stop, a dig, and just overall? Any other opinions?

After owning a AOD and 5sp...I can say that the 5sp is a lot more fun to drive around in. The abilty to conrol shift points and how long you can hold a gear is wonderful...and well also do able in an AOD application...it costs money to do so.

Driving situation its just the difference in pushing a clutch...however the 5sp is overall quicker do to the ability to downshift when you want...rather than when the AOD wants to.

From Stop: 5sp
From a Dig: 5sp
Overall: 5sp...or personal tastes.

The Track comments...AODs are known to be better do to the fact that traction is easier to obtain.

Perhaps its because I was without an SC for so long...but my moded AOD SC doesn't seem to have the balls my stock 5sp does.

-Tim

hytorksc said:

the 5spd seems to be much more fun to me as i have had both, but with an AR and AOD, i'm not so sure that a 5spd is more fun.

The 5 speed will eat the AOD every time unless you miss a gear (or 2) - I've owned both and raced both.

Plus with any Auto you loose a significant percentage of HP through the torque converter I believe....I've heard numbers around 15 to 20% loss. But Ill take the 5 speed anyday....maybe when Im older Ill want the auto like I see happening with the earlier Gen.

I don't think a 5spd is faster on the 1/4 mile as I've seen many almost stock AOD's run mid-high 14's and I do think it is largely because of their ability to get traction.

However, on any kind of the twisties I'll take the 5spd 100X over, and also on top speed as the AOD bands don't hold up.

Even an AOD with an AR? Would that still be less fun than a 5spd?

The reason i am asking is because i am getting older and the 5spd i have will be a bit fatiguing for me as i have a long commute each day. But, i may just decide to keep the 5spd and use it as a weekend/fun car, hopefully with an AR kit on it after while.

I prefer the 5spd to an AOD any day of the week but I have to agree with Dave about stock AODs running fast for stock as I learned in Dayton this weekend first hand with my own stock AOD SC. But then again I want to sell the AOD car really bad to buy another 5spd car or a truck to tow my 35th when its done. I to know all to well the weak OD band in the AODs as mine is a victum of loss of OD.

Shane

hytorksc said:
Even an AOD with an AR? Would that still be less fun than a 5spd?

The reason i am asking is because i am getting older and the 5spd i have will be a bit fatiguing for me as i have a long commute each day. But, i may just decide to keep the 5spd and use it as a weekend/fun car, hopefully with an AR kit on it after while.

5spd=work. If you don't want to work then get an auto. Really, if it is not a joy to you to be shifting gears then an AR has nothing to do with it, just stick with an auto. ;) More power definitely helps an AOD.

XR7Dave,

big thread-

Well... i really don't know if i'll keep the stick but you're right it is a joy to drive. i was trying to figure whether or not an AOD with an AR kit would greatly exceed my performance expectations over a 5spd enough to go back to an AOD to make it easier on me, because i commute with this car everyday 110 miles- and 30 percent of this trip is stop and go traffic. i certainly would not get an AOD again without adding AR power. That's why i kept asking about the AR with AOD. Obviously an AR on a 5spd would be monsterous.

Can i get away with an AOD with just upgrading the critical parts- an AR, FMIC, 42lb injectors, upgraded radiator/cooling system mod, balancer, exhaust, gears, stock everything else, and a tune? Would this put down over 300rwhp? 350rwhp? Can anyone that has this setup describe how it feels in detail, and are you happy with it?

I like the AOD, but it does have a couple draw backs as Dave already mentioned. Top speed under wide open throttle being the biggest. After 120 mph a 5 speed car will run away from me, because I can't upshift into or hold OD at WOT.

Unwanted/unexpected down shifts is the other one. Hitting the throttle a little too hard will cause a downshift....not a big deal if your driving in a straight line on dry pavement. But very scary if it happens while trying to merge onto the highway when it's raining. I've also spun my car out twice on dry pavement when it downshifted going around a tight curve/corner under acceleration. These days I never hit the throttle hard on a curve at any speed, because I know what will happen.

The big advantage of the AOD is not having wheel hop and the automatic shifts. I'm sure a 5 speed does feel faster in a stock SC because you have 4 sets of gears to reach a 1:1 ratio and the AOD only has 3. Then again a properly stalled converter can multiply the rear wheel torque on the AOD equipped car enough to melt down the tires at every stop sign.

Last but certianly not least....without a cup holder it's too damn difficult to drink and drive with a 5 speed. Of course I'm talking about a steaming hot cup of coffee, but holding onto to pretty much any beverage is difficult with an AOD, and must be nearly impossible with a 5 speed.

David

David Neibert said:
Last but certianly not least....without a cup holder it's too damn difficult to drink and drive with a 5 speed. Of course I'm talking about a steaming hot cup of coffee, but holding onto to pretty much any beverage is difficult with an AOD, and must be nearly impossible with a 5 speed.

David

I didn't know coffee came in cans.A can is all that I have ever seen
you drink from David. :)

Randy

Randy N Connie said:

Randy

Oh I know I saw David drop off alot of cans in the trash can at Kil-Kare saturday moring lol!

Shane

Randy N Connie said:

Randy

Well every once in a while it's coffee :D ....those flimsy styrafoam cups are just as hard to hold onto as a 24 oz can of errr...swing oil.

David

PS: All those beer cans were from people at the dyno and the hotel later that night.

LOL

thanks for the explanation, especially the cans err i mean cups. i think i'm going to be sorry if i let the 5spd go. But if i can find a way to lock in the OD beyond 120mph i'll go with the AOD as i do enjoy (rarely) very short spurts over that speed now with the 5spd. Maybe i'm crazy, but 120mph seems only moderately fast to me now since i have the 5spd. You know what- we're all sick for wanting to go that fast. :D

Last edited:
Also, if you talk on cell phone in traffic, you'll definitely want a hands free setup for the phone, sucks tryin' to drive a 5-speed in traffic w/out a hands free setup

hytorksc said:
LOL

thanks for the explanation, especially the cans err i mean cups. i think i'm going to be sorry if i let the 5spd go. But if i can find a way to lock in the OD beyond 120mph i'll go with the AOD as i do enjoy (rarely) very short spurts over that speed now with the 5spd. Maybe i'm crazy, but 120mph seems only moderately fast to me now since i have the 5spd. You know what- we're all sick for wanting to go that fast. :D

You can go over 120 in OD without a problem...just can't do at at full throttle/full boost unless you install a trans-go shift kit. The OD band just isn't strong enough to handle very much torque, and doing full throttle upshifts (like with the trans-go) will really shorten it's life.

The Lentech valve body I've got now won't allow you to shift into OD at full throttle and it won't hold OD at full throttle. But it will allow you to gradually accelerate up to whatever the speed limiter is set at.

David

PS: A stock AOD SC can go faster than 120 in third, mine is limited by the 3.73 gears and non locking converter.

Last edited:
David Neibert said:
David

PS: A stock AOD SC can go faster than 120 in third, mine is limited by the 3.73 gears and non locking converter.

Yes mine will still peg the speedo even after I blew OD.

Shane

It's pretty well known that on a roll or on top end a 5 speed is faster. It's generally known that at the strip, an AOD is faster. However, Dave Dalke, Dan Sly, Gary Kuhn, and a few others have proven that wrong. I think the 5 speed is as fast or possibly even faster at the strip if you can drive it. That is the problem. The 5 speeds are so complicated to launch and shift that the majority of the drivers won't be able to produce a time as good as if they had an AOD. But there are a few who know how to drive and can regularly walk some AOD's. I'm not one of them.

BUt as annoying as it is to go to the strip and constantly bungle shifts...I would still choose the manual unless you are building a drag car only. My SC with an AOD would probably run 13.4's all day long...maybe quicker. With the manual and slicks it's all I can do to pull a half second slower time. Control of the gears for around town driving is what keeps me with the manual though.

Micah

hytorksc said:
LOL

With equal power the AOD is quicker. Problem starts come in where the stock AOD won't handle the power and upgrades are bloody expensive.

Back