needed ASAP if not sooner :)

91 XR7

Anyone know the Ford part number for the output shaft seal for the M5R2 (1992 vintage)

thanks in advance...

and hopefully this place is up tomorrow morn' :) :) :)

Kevin

shaft seal for the M5R2

Its hard for the dealer to make a mistake on it because there is only 1 for all years. I replaced mine a 18 months ago, I used a gasket puller to remove the old 1 and took the seal to Home Depot for a short piece of pipe coupling just smaller than the O.D. of the seal, and tapped it in with a hammer.

hehe weirdly, yas they can :)

since i did order one, and i ended up with the input shaft seal.. So i'm gonna call the boy down at ford tommorrow about trying to get me the correct one :) just wish i remembered the guys name..

I'm gonna try `Extension housing seal' :) (so it's called in the shop manual)

heh have any idea on how to do the main seal.. specially sitting it?? the thing is like 6" in diameter <okay maybe 4.5" but still HUGE! >

Thanks Jerome...

Yup, Ford parts listing calls it an extension housing seal, but any parts person worth their salt should also know it as an output seal. Anyway, the Ford p/n is E8TZ 7052 C.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
(the parts guy)
SCCoO

I've never done a RM seal

thankfully. But you can drop by and ask Sacha, I'll be installing an AOD tomorrow and cleaning up on Friday. Which motor/tranny are you working on anyway?

upgraded his intake

He has the parts but not installed yet. He put in new O2 sensor today and mayby 55mm transfer electonics for the 70mm MAF tomorrow. He needs trakLok rearend badly (no traction).

thanks everyone, specially Ed for the p/n :)

And jerome, I'm tossing the 5spd into my cougar.. Almost got everything now... the biggest thing i need to find is the time :)

Rear Main Seal

I read the manual and it says to knock a small hole or 2 in the old seal, screw in some sheet metal screws and pull it out. It talks about a seal install took to put the new 1 in but I'm sure we could make something to do the job.

I'm sure you've considered this but I'm going to bullit proof & modify the AOD to shift better by adding a shift kit. I bought a spare tranny so I can take my time doing the work. I have read about guys beefing theirs up to take any amount of HP they want to thow at it. Granted, the AOD will still be heavier but only requires 1 foot and doesn't roll back on hills.

Tip... When I drained my AOD, I just removed the drain plug on the torque converter and about 80% of the fluid came out which was very neat because the pan wasn't even full when I took it off.

what about drilling a hole in the pan and letting it drain out. Then once you have the pan off install the B&M universal drain plug. Then next time you don't have to take a shower in trans fluid.

heh did you miss judge the force the Tranny fluid comes out of the TQ jerome?? :) did that once when i did it on the hoist at work.. never expected it too shoot THAT far out.. but yah.. I think it's a good 8+ liters in the TQ alone.. @ 2-3L in the Pan.. the rest in the cooler/line..

Also the tranny that's in my car is surpose to have been `Built' (beefed up) Wide ratio gear set, stage 1 shift kit, Improved ect..

But the guy did do the V-body correctly, and it ended up killing the tranny... SO instead of spending another $2-3000(cdn) I'm just gonna toss in a 5spd.. which i prefer now-a-days anyways.. I may keep the AOD, and related just incasei do keep the car, and decide to convert backover..

Fluid drain

Mayby I was lucky or because the everything was cold, but I didn't spill a drop from the TC drain plug and the pan was only about half full. I will look into adding a drain plug to the side of the pan and use a nipple like on the brakes but larger. When I go to Ford for parts or Can.Tire for that matter, I always look at the computer when they do. Example1, I was at Ford today for a manifold stud and got the right part. Example 2, I went to Can Tire for a AOD filter/gasket kit (best price $15.) but the sales guy kept coming up with the wrong part so I looked and found it. They also have the best price on AFT (20L for $30.) Plus the Tru-Cool 24,000 lb for $95. w/ all of the attachments.

Back