Anyone have the SCP Cat back system??

Paulio91184

hi guys, just wondering if anyone has this system and if it's worth the 750 bucks to get it, plus your opinion of the performance gain

Thanks, Paul

The SCP exhaust is sweet sounding. I had it on two of my cars.

As for $750

Ya figure the mufflers and resonator cost a total of around $200..SO your spending 550 for the mandrel bent exhaust.

You can get a non mandrel bent exhaust as a shop for about 200 + parts for a total of approximately 400..Saving 300..Now this difference can change depending on what the shop charges....Also you wont get mandrel bends which at this point in the game probably doesnt matter.

Me Id get two high flow cars 2.5 inch...A magnaflow resonator with 2 in and two out 2.5 inch..And dual to the back with your choice of mufflers..(I perfer Borlas)...If you have a pre 93 car you will need teh late model gas tank to run the duals...While yer at it get a 255lph pump...

Now all that can probably be had for the same price as the SCP exhaust.

I have nothing but good things to say about the SCP stuff....Its just pricey

I have a complete SCP exhaust system.It is not what I would call
a true mandrel bent tubes.Mine looks just like it could of been built
by a local muffler shop.T he tube between the header and cat,is
a flat bend just like a muffler shop tube bender would perform.

My tubes did not have flexable die set inside of tube before bending
process was performed.The school I went to.Mandrel bent tubes
are round after bending process is complete.They do not have two flat
sides to a bend.

The 3'' part of the SCP exhaust system was mandrel bent.

Parts of the system are mandrel bend,but not the hole systems.
At least mine was not.

But it works just find the sound is nice,a little loud.

Mine was not a bolt on system .I had to cut and reweld the 3''
section of the system to get it to fit.

Sorry to sound negative,but its a fact.Mine was not what I know
to be mandrel bent tubes.And mine was not a simple bolt-on.

Randy

take some pictures of the scp exhaust and show them to a local muffler shop.they'll be able to copy it plus put it on for less than $750.00. unless you like laying on your back messing with exhaust,let them do it.

SCP exhaust is not mandrel bent

DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:
The SCP exhaust is sweet sounding. I had it on two of my cars.

As for $750

Ya figure the mufflers and resonator cost a total of around $200..SO your spending 550 for the mandrel bent exhaust.

I spoke to Bill E at SCP a couple weeks ago about his exhaust. He said his exhaust is not mandrel bent, but that it is configured to eliminate the need for sharp bends (there is about six joints in it). He also mentioned that mandrel bending only becomes a necessity when you are making 500+ RWHP.

pablon2 said:
I spoke to Bill E at SCP a couple weeks ago about his exhaust. He said his exhaust is not mandrel bent, .

When I bought mine two years ago,I was told by Bill E.it was mandrel bent
and bolt-on.IT WAS NETHER.

Randy

I got the SCP system. I actually bought the Magnaflow Resonator and two dynomax mufflers from Wynn at www.texasthunderbirds.com along with his Y-Pipe and had a local shop put it in. Cost me $160 w/ New Rolled tips. Took them 2 hours to do. It's not loud at ALL. It's kinda quiet and i wish it was a little bit louder but i can change mufflers some other time. It has a nice hum to it and sounds pretty good under wide open throttle. :D

Here are some pictures I took many years ago. It shows the difference between Compression bends and mandrel bends. We no longer sell any exhaust products. The system I had made and sold many years ago would support 300rwh with 2-1-2 layout. 2.25" to 2.5" Magnaflow resonator to Dynomax Catback system.

Exhaust System Pics

Also here is a pic of my latest exhaust 2.5" downpipes (mandrel bends) to 2.5" resonator to a Dynomax catback exhaust system. The pipes were tig welded together and painted with a exhaust manifold paint. So far the paint is holding up. Por15 is the paint.

por20-exhaust.JPG

Last edited:
pablon2 said:
He also mentioned that mandrel bending only becomes a necessity when you are making 500+ RWHP.
That is a very relative statement. Being able to support 500+ RWHP and being a restriction long before then are in fact very different things. You may make 500+ RWHP with the system he sells, but I sure wouldnt want to put an SC engine through that kind of torture.

Paul

Paulio91184 said:
hi guys, just wondering if anyone has this system and if it's worth the 750 bucks to get it, plus your opinion of the performance gain

Thanks, Paul
I didn't notice any performance gain,As far as the seat of the pants dyno.
But a better exhaust system than stock will enhance other performance
parts,that you bolt on later.

If you think that you will gain 25 plus rwhp from a exhaust upgrade only.
I think you may be disapointed.But your right to look into this mod first.
I beleive you and your billfold would be happiest with Rich T's. ideas.

Good luck Randy

On my '90 'Bird, I have the Bill E SCP exhaust from headers-back, and yeah I agree the 2.5" tubes are NOT Mandrel, but the 3" is. With the system I was also sent a set of Cherry Bomb Turbo mufflers. The set was an easy bolt-on, sits perfectly, and sounds excellent. As far as power gains go, don't look for it with the exhaust. Instead, with the newly found free-flow through the exhaust starrt looking for upgrades to your intake set up to find the power, and add sensitivity to your gas pedal. Also, what are your goals for the car? The following is a list of my mods, take from it what you want.
190LPH Fuel Pump
38# Fuel Injectors
*Kooks Ceramic Coated Mid-Length Headers
*2 1/2" Down Tubes w/ High Flow Cat's
*SCP Cat-Back
Mag Pwrs Cold Air Divider
*9" Conical K&N Air Filter
76mm MAFS
*3" Intake Tube
75mm T-Body
Mag Pwrs Inlet Plenum
SCP "S" Model Blower
5% OD (Blower) Pully
Underdrive Pully Kit
Super Chip w/ 93p program calibrated for all above mods.
* Installed for origional dyno. (The rest of the stuff was on its way.)

I just installed mine. I think SCP should send it's peices unwelded so the fabricator does not screw it up like mine. I had to be cut. The drivers side down tubes also had to be rebent, and cats had to be turned 90.

At around 2000-2500 rpms there is a DRONE that drives me & passengers crazy. It seems to vibrate/resonate the whole cabin. At 2k - 2.5k rpms it is louder than my subwoofer at half volume. So if you like to listen to your motor instead of the radio you are fine. To get rid of the drone on the expressway, I drive at 80+ mph, or drive my AOD in third to be legal. How do you get rid of the DRONE?

Sail7seas, Check for leaks around the resonator. For a week there was a resonance that vibrated the cabin of my 35th something fierce. I checked the resonator, and there was definate evidence of a leak. So I took it back to where I got it welded, and got it fixed for free, and a free leak check on the rest of the system. Moral is, no more vibration, and all the sound comes from the mufflers, not the res.

I replaced the Dynomax Super Turbo muflers by SCP with Borla TURBO XL part #40665.
Inlet Diameter: 2 1/2"
Outlet Diameter: 2 1/2"
Case Size: 19" x 4" x 9 1/2"
>These Aircraft-Quality T-304 Stainless Steel Muffler is designed to accommodate up to 300 HP (TURBO) or 450 (TURBO XL) HP while maintaining maximum flow and deep throaty sound. <

The Drone problem is now GONE, and it is NICE to be able to hear the radio again. (anyone want the Dynomax mufler$ ?)

Last edited:
Back