C&L 85mm TUNER mass air

XxSlowpokexX

Sounds interesting. Anyone have any experience with this mass air?

Potential to flow 1215 CFM

And I know they have a sampel tube to work for my 42lb injectors on my 94..Unlike the 80mm I have...grr

I've been wondering the same thing.
I did some reading on another site and the way it looks is that if you have a eec tuner then it will work.

DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:
Sounds interesting. Anyone have any experience with this mass air?

Potential to flow 1215 CFM

And I know they have a sampel tube to work for my 42lb injectors on my 94..Unlike the 80mm I have...grr

Damon,

The tuner maf does not have a removable sample tube. It comes with a flow sheet and you must use a chip or other tuning device to make adjustments for what injectors your planning to use.

I'm using one of those on my turbo car in a blow thru configuration.

David

I should have been more specific.. Thats what I was meaning. Supposedly I can get a sample tube with a calibration chart for my 80mml..This mass air seems like its more user freindly for awkward positionings though

Either way Id need to tune via a chip

I have also thought about this. I am in the thinking process of swaping over my engine harness and computer to an EEC V mustang set up. It seems to me that there are only a few people in the midwest that have a clue about the SC and tuning it. I think it might be easier and cheeper to swap the wiring over and then have it tuned as a mustang. Your thoughts?

Chris

My thoughts is leave it alone..In all reality it isnt that much more difficult to tune an SC then a stang so to speak. It gets a lil tricky when you try to use mass air/ injector comboes that the manufacturer (such as C&L) never thought would go on an SC

I think my engine is at the limit for the computer. I have a 76 mm C&L and when I put it on the car you cant drive it because it is sooooo lean. The thing just bucks and jerks. The reason I would look into the EEC V is because of the availability of people to tune it. I have a buddy with a laptop in his 96 slobra. He said he would help me on the 97 and it was too bad on the sc because it is so old that it is not adaptable.

Chris

DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:
My thoughts is leave it alone..In all reality it isnt that much more difficult to tune an SC then a stang so to speak. It gets a lil tricky when you try to use mass air/ injector comboes that the manufacturer (such as C&L) never thought would go on an SC

So what other options are there?

-Matt

Damon, to be more direct

mattyblazer said:
So what other options are there?

-Matt
If I'm running an 85mm throttle body, and a 3.5" intake with 50 pound injectors what options are there?

And as far as manipulating parts to work for these applications, wouldn't performance / reliability be the first consideration, because I'm thinking that if it was all about what fit and was meant to be there wouldn't we all just be running less radical setups?

Matt,

First of all you are getting an AR and therefore have nothing to worry about. You will not have any issues with the 80MM MA and chip that I have for you.

Chris,

You most certainly are not anywhere near the limit of your EEC. If you want to cowboy tune the car with sample tubes, then get a richer tube, simple and cheap. Otherwise no matter what EEC you have you will still have to pay for tuning. You either have to buy a chip or you have to buy a programmer. You don't seriously think that your buddy can tune your EEC do you? If that were the case then there would be no purpose for SCT/Diablo/Hypertech to exist as no one would be paying for tuning anymore.

Damon,

I'm not sure what issues you are having unless you are trying to run the 80MM w/o a chip. It is going to be difficult because C&L doesn't have a tube they recommend for the application. You would have to guess and buy a couple tubes then toss a WB on the car and see how close it comes. I suppose I could try it also, just haven't had the time or inclination because I just use a 42lb calibration and enter the correct transfer function in the chip. Very simple and TONS of headroom. On mine I am only hitting 4.3v and I only have the 30lb calibration.

David

It seems that right now, without a tune that the computer is at its limits. It runs rich at idle and at full throttle when you first step into it. But I believe it leans out as it runs at full. The computer constantly hunts at idle. When I installed the larger MAF body it would not run. I DO NOT know about the tuning thing. I have never done it only read a bit on the subject. I am sure there are some small tweeks that I could do but right now I am just trying to pass the time with thoughts of my next "fix it before it breaks" mod. What is this cowboy tune thing?

Chris

Dave,

They reccomended the silver tube however it didnt work out..And yes without a chip. I know I can go ahead and buy a tube for that mass air that has a tranfer curve but without a chip......That will do me no good.

Anyway I canned the 80mm mass air its a nice ornament on my shelf currently

Matt,

Dave supplies chips so you should be ok transfer function wise so long as you hav eteh tube in it he reccomends

seawalkersee said:
It seems that right now, without a tune that the computer is at its limits. It runs rich at idle and at full throttle when you first step into it. But I believe it leans out as it runs at full. The computer constantly hunts at idle. When I installed the larger MAF body it would not run. I DO NOT know about the tuning thing. I have never done it only read a bit on the subject. I am sure there are some small tweeks that I could do but right now I am just trying to pass the time with thoughts of my next "fix it before it breaks" mod. What is this cowboy tune thing?

Chris

Kevin Leitem ran 11.66 with a stock untuned EEC. Jim Demmit ran 11.90's with a stock untuned EEC. There is a fella with a 2.3L Whipple charged SC that runs 151mph in the speed trials with as far as I know the stock EEC. I believe he holds a track record. You most certainly are not at the limits of the stock EEC. No EMS can compensate for mismatched parts without tuning. The stock EEC is tunable for a lot less money than a stand alone.

Cowboy tune refers to using various tricks to get the car to run right without actually tuning the EEC.

Damon, maybe I'll do some testing to find out what tube will work right on an SC. I have several laying around here.... now what did I do with all that spare time I used to have....... LOL

Ok, why then is my car hard to drive when I put on the 76mm C&L? It does however use the factory MAF. The car has the stock top, stock t-body, plenum, and IC. It has 38 lb injectors, .444 cam, the intake is port matched to the heads, 1.73s, underdrive pullys, and 3/4 headers. It is really choked up past the headers. If I put the C&L on it chokes up and bucks like crazy. You can hardly get it off of idle and it just runs terrible. I guess I natrually assumed that the amount of air was too much for the computer.

Chris

Back