Long Shot Question

Super XR7

Does anyone know if the roof line trim from a 94+ cougar will fit a 89 cougar? The trim on the cougar is black metal and rubber, would like to change the trim to the 94+ and paint it the same color as the car.

Mike

Yep. I did the same thing on my 90 XR7. You'll just have to drill a couple holes in the seam between the roof and quarterpanel, as the 94 style roof trim bolts on in the back instead of using those annoying clips.

-Rod

racecougar said:
Yep. I did the same thing on my 90 XR7. You'll just have to drill a couple holes in the seam between the roof and quarterpanel, as the 94 style roof trim bolts on in the back instead of using those annoying clips.

-Rod

Did you remove the trim from the front edge of the windshield back to the top of the rear glass? How do you remove both and not destroy them, info on both the 89 and 94 please. Thanks Rod for the reply.
Mike

Mike,

First of all, you'll have to drill out the rivets that attach these pieces over the door openings (both styles). For the early style, you'll have to carefully pry up the back end of these pieces (over the rear quarter panels) to remove them. They are held in place by tabs that slide into two part plastic clips.

The back end of the later style is attached with three studs/nuts. The only way to get to them is by removing the sail panels (interior rear quarter panel trim) and dropping the headliner down. Remove the three 8mm (?) nuts that you see on each side, and they come right out.

Hope that helps.

-Rod

I respectfully dissagree with the interchangeability of the parts. I have a 90 XR7 and attempted this process. I bought the parts and drilled the holes etc. Problem is the 1/4 has a slightly different contour between the years and therefore a nice fit was not possible. I finally gave up and removed the parts and reinstalled the old ones. I still have the 97 mouldings if someone still wants to try it, they are available cheap. ;)

No problem, Dave. I do have these installed on my 90 XR7. I will try to get some pics of them later.

-Rod

racecougar said:
No problem, Dave. I do have these installed on my 90 XR7. I will try to get some pics of them later.

-Rod

Racecougar, were you able to get any pictures?

Mike

Mike,

I completely forgot about it this weekend when I was working on the car. I'll see if I can get a couple pics of them tomorrow night.

-Rod

Here are the pictures. I know they aren't the best, but I had to have someone else take them for me (I'm 100 miles away from my shop right now). Hopefully they are good enough to be considered as proof that the newer roof trim fits the older body nicely.

-Rod

Attachments

• roof trim 1.JPG
    roof trim 1.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 75
  • roof trim 2.JPG
    roof trim 2.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 67
Sort of an off topic post, But I have to replace these on my SC. I have the OEM moldings, but do I need special rivets to put them on again? And also, what kinda of adhesive should I use for the weatherstripping? Thanks.

SCmeFly said:
Sort of an off topic post, But I have to replace these on my SC. I have the OEM moldings, but do I need special rivets to put them on again? And also, what kinda of adhesive should I use for the weatherstripping? Thanks.

I don't remember exactly what size rivets I used on these, but I do know that you can definitely get them at your local hardware store (Home Depot, Lowes, etc). There isn't anything special about them, though I would recommend using stainless steel rivets so that they don't rust.

I'd recommend using weatherstrip adhesive on the rubber weatherstripping around the doors, if you even need any (I only use a little if the weatherstripping won't stay in place on its own). You should be able to find weatherstrip adhesive at any auto parts store (Autozone, Advance Auto Parts, etc.).

Hope that helps.

-Rod

Back