PDA

View Full Version : What the new Bird could have looked like

SuperCoupe
07-10-2002, 11:22 PM
Here's a 1997 artist's rendering of what the 1998-99 MN-12 based Thunderbird could have looked like. The new Birds are beautiful for sure, but they're just not "my cup of tea." I just WISH they would have gone with something like this, even though it resembles a Taurus quite a bit, to be expected as most car maker's models usually have some resembleance to the other cars in their line of cars/trucks (imo). What's your opinion?
-Jeff

PS-Keep in mind that this is only an artist's rendering, and I'm not sure that Ford ever even considered this particular design

<center>http://members.cox.net/supercoupe-1990/concept.jpg</center>

jpaitala
07-10-2002, 11:53 PM
The drawing is much nicer than the finished product!!

FordPOWER INC
07-10-2002, 11:56 PM
that was an update on the MN12 chassis not the current one. I think thats from a 1997 road&track i have kicking around

still sweet. I 'd be all over the new one of they kept a modualr engine in it. Even the deadstock 4.6 GT engine, not the cobra one nothing speical, just a REAL V8

Ray

sabre81
07-11-2002, 12:21 AM
thats just a taurus , mustang, and tbird all put together hehe :P

Digitalchaos
07-11-2002, 02:11 AM
The new tbird is nice looking, although I agree with retro not being my cup of tea. For one, it would look funny to make a special package with that, like the SC. Also, the 'bird was always suppose to represent the future, being advanced. However, that drawing I cannot agree with. I disagree entirely with the look of Tauruses, and that looks much like one. Therefore I do not like it.

Back n black bird
07-11-2002, 09:19 AM
If they looked like that there would be one sitting in my driveway right now.

SuperCoupe
07-11-2002, 10:09 AM
I realize this was an update on the MN-12 chassis, and I agree it does resemble the Taurus, but most of the car companies keep atributes of the other cars, and even trucks they build in their line of cars/trucks. I still think the new F series pick up's dash looks like the mid 90 Taurus! And I also dislike the Taurus, although I wouldn't mind owning an SHO if someone gave it to me! All in all, I can see the resembelance of the Taurus in the rendering, but I still feel there's a whole lot of ThunderBird (MN-12) there to set it aside as a Bird. I think the 2003 Cobra super charged motor could have been a nice choice of powerplant...but hey, it's all just dreams now anyway :(
-Jeff

danekejt
07-11-2002, 11:30 AM
i dont like it. reminds me of a crappy celica.

Mike8675309
07-11-2002, 11:34 AM
Ford went for the understated performance route with the new t-bird.

But they didn't really do anything of interest with it. It's a so-so design with nothing really new in the engine or the interior. Suspension is nothing hot. It just seems to be a "blah" kinda of new car.

When Dodge came out with the Viper, people's jaws dropped. When Ford came out with the new Thunderbird, people were interested, but it just doesn't suck you in like a Viper will.

Body design? We are getting into a period of design where all the cars look about the same again. Other than the PT-Cruiser type, we are getting low roof's, high beltlines, and curvey shapes. (Unless you buy a GM with sharp edges and lots of plastic)

I would have liked to see something more agressive in the body. An optional performance package to make it a Mustang Killer. Really take on the Jaguar/BMW/Lexus market with something less of a nitch machine.

SuperCoupe
07-11-2002, 12:14 PM
Well there's an older woman (70's) that drives teal one that I see almost daily, so that tells me something! You definitely don't see many 70 year old ladies driving Vipers! It seems like they just tried to appeal to the masses rather than target a certain age/gender group with the new Bird, which I guess is what you do when you wanna sell cars right? Oh well, at least Dodge wasn't thinking that way with the Viper (IMO).
-Jeff

XxSlowpokexX
07-11-2002, 12:23 PM
Looks like a jaguar/astin martin..Yup

XxSlowpokexX
07-11-2002, 12:27 PM
The retro Tbird isnt my cup of tea..But its by no means a blah car...If they were trying to compete with the viper..vette..Well they would be off the mark..Thats not the case..They made A classy sport coupe...And thats about it..I would have liked a Vette killer..But it didnt happen.....But I heard the Pantera is comming back...Hmmmm..5.4 supercharged viper eater..That be nice!!!!!!

TbirdSCFan
07-11-2002, 02:19 PM
Ok.. my $.02 since it was asked for. The concept drawing, while initially a more appealing design to me, after a few minutes starts looking tooooo much like a Taurus, Gran Prix, you name it. The retro Tbird is much more distinctive.

Its no coincidence that the 70 year old lady is driving it. They went specifically for upper aged people. It was designed to meet that niche. Which is also why they aren't building 1000s and 1000s of them. Although demographically, we do have a lot of boomers nearing retirement age, and the auto manufacturers know it. Don't be surprised to start seeing bigger doors, etc on the newer designs.

89sc5spd
07-11-2002, 03:52 PM
i like that design and quite impressed with it, as for the styling looking like other ford designs is because its just that, a ford, and each company kinda has a "signature" design, and also it could have quite possibly been the same engineer that deisgned the taurus who drew that same picture (could be wrong)

tbirdboy
07-11-2002, 03:55 PM
Back in 89, Ford had a bit of a dillema. Two performance coupes, similar power #'s, similar performance times but marketing to different segments of the coupe buying public. A bit difficult to do when you have a car effectively making more power(tbird) than your main icon bearer(mustang). Ford though never carried the Bird through the aftermarket red carpet like it did the Mustang(and still does). This time around it wanted to a clear and definitive line between the two and since GM declared the Camaro/Firebird/Trans Am dead before bringing the new Bird to production, it was real easy for Ford to produce some heavy, b!tch ride and keep the balls with the horse.

I like to see the new Bird cruise down the freeway at times and I know that It has 8 cyls so perhaps there might be a performance variant soon but you will never mistake it for a Cobra. All solely my opinion of course. Late!

supafly223
07-12-2002, 01:06 AM
that car would make an awsome SHO, definatly not a t-bird though

mannysc
07-12-2002, 06:08 PM
ford needs to splice the genes down the middle with a 60s cobra flaired fenders wide tires

Deep6
07-12-2002, 07:38 PM
I would take that green two door taurus over the current "fogey" machine Ford is offering these days.

Hey the 2002 thunderbird looks great, but when I was looking at it in the showroom and then I saw the "bullit" mustang Gt, I was all over that like Flies on ~~~~~.

Sorry but, old man/woman styling is for old men and women.

It's all the VW beetles fault, F'n VW had to get all touchy feely and introduce the retro-bug. People jizmed all over it, this prompted other companies to introduce their own "fun" car, so now you see a weird vehicle like the Pt Cruiser running around and that 2002 Ford thunderbird.

I'm usually not caught up with looks but the T-bird stands out in traffic and unfourtunatly as a personal luxury sport coupe, you're NOT supposed to stand out. Let me ask you this? How many other Personal Luxury sport coupes stand out? Does the Mercedes CLK coupes stand out? Does the Acura S-type stand out? Certainly each is uniquely styled and you wouldn't mistake one for the other, it's just my opinion that these retro cars are really just an expression of morbid excess.

I think we all agree here, that one of the reasons why we all decided to buy our birds was definatly the "sleeper" or "Q" factor.

If we all wanted to be noticed, then we'd be posting on a mustang forum and each of us would have our cars with huge 20" chrome rims and slimer green paint on our rides....

VicRattlehead
07-13-2002, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Deep6
Let me ask you this? How many other Personal Luxury sport coupes stand out? Does the Mercedes CLK coupes stand out? Does the Acura S-type stand out? Certainly each is uniquely styled and you wouldn't mistake one for the other,

well, no offense to anyone here, i couldnt tell you the difference between thoes 2 cars, why, because i dont like either of them, and could really careless of both of them. The reason that ford came out with the tbird is for it to compete with the vette, by 58 they stoped that thinking, and went to a 4 pass car, why would they all of a sudden want to compete with the vette again??? ever heard of the GT40/03 Cobra, thoes are your vette killers, not the tbird. I like the newbird, it really has a nice look to it, infact last night i was looking over a Nemian Marcus edition bird, owner looked to be in his late 50's with his wife, thoes are the people its centered around, not the speed deamon 20 year olds. but then again, if i had the chance to buy one, id have one in a second. red/white/red - blue/white/blue - white/white/red would be the color choices id get. i just really like them, it would look nice parked next to my 66 vert, and my 96lx.

8ate8
07-14-2002, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by tbirdboy
I like to see the new Bird cruise down the freeway at times and I know that It has 8 cyls so perhaps there might be a performance variant soon but you will never mistake it for a Cobra.

they are coming out with a performance version, or at least they're supposed to. it's going to be the SVC Thunderbird.. SVC is ford's renamed SVT division.

Deep6
07-14-2002, 05:18 PM
These stupid auto execs can't come up with something fresh and exciting.

They are actually listening to the stupid buying public, a bunch of people who are saying "gosh, if ya' built em' like ya' used to, I'd buy two".

And as such, you see these old fashioned cars with a new twist being produced.

I'm sorry but IF ford had released the thunderbird with "taurus" styling, I'd still find it attractive. Hell the newer Taurus kinda looks like it borrows some Jag styling (like form the XKR). I wouldn't mind a little Jag styling in my bird......but make that modern Jag, not 1950's Jag, thank you.

WickedBird
07-16-2002, 04:05 PM
personally, i like the concept version and if it had been produced, i would be driving one right now.

i think ford went in the wrong direction with the new tbird. i like the retro look that is being incorporated in the newer cars such as the pt cruiser, prowler, tbird, etc. however, you will notice that most of them are either new names with retro looks or cars that have been out of production for quite some time. the thunderbird went from our body style right to the new style. i don't think it works. they should have made the new tbird with a new style, and saved the retro for something else. if chevy just decided to make a retro corvett aimed for retired folks, it would not go over good.

VicRattlehead
07-16-2002, 04:25 PM
you were saying. 50th annv vette.

Tazer999
07-16-2002, 04:36 PM
Thats not the 50th anniversary corvette....

VicRattlehead
07-16-2002, 04:52 PM
mabey not the official anny version, i know they have that maroon one there using for the indy but, that is one the're using for a special custom promo annv type thing for the 50th annv of the vette.

Tazer999
07-16-2002, 05:03 PM
Ummm, right....

They already started producing the 50th anniversaries, and they are pretty much a regular c5 except for a new badge and a custom paint job..

Thats pretty much the only difference, they didn't go retro at all

I can scan pics from c&d if you wish

Tazer999
07-16-2002, 05:51 PM
Thats not the new c6 either, thats a computer made rendition of what someone thinks it might look like.

All that drawing is is someones idea of what it might look like, and as every corvetteforum person has said so far, that is fugly beyond belief

Tazer999
07-16-2002, 05:57 PM
Here is the 50th anniversary corvette exterior and interior

http://members.tccoa.com/tazer999/50th.jpg
http://members.tccoa.com/tazer999/50th2.jpg

As far as the c6 renditions go, here is what car and driver thinks it will look like (fugly also imo)

http://members.tccoa.com/tazer999/c6.jpg

8ate8
07-16-2002, 07:22 PM
tazer, he said he knows that that's not the real 50th anniversary, but he is right on chevy using it for promoting the 50th anniversary of the vette.. it's a C5 with the body of a 53.

VicRattlehead
07-17-2002, 01:58 AM
flip back a few issues of C&D or chevy performance or some mag and there is a 3-4 page article on the car that i posted, no thats not a drawing its the real thing! its basicly a C5 with body mods to make it look like a 53 vette. everything else is C5 materials, interior suspension, engine etc. if i can find the mag that i have with the article ill scann it and post it.

Tazer999
07-17-2002, 02:14 AM
Keith: Hrm, how many issues? I don't rememebr that....

From your pic tho, it just looks like the front end is changed, is the rear different at all?

I would think with just the frotn that wouldn't make much of a retro styling, but more of a flop...