Camaro and Firebird comeback????

IMO, they should have kept the Fbodies and not even considered the SSR. They'll bring them back, at least the Camaro.

Of course, cars like Camaro's, Mustangs etc aren't what correct lagging vehicle sales. They just don't sell enough compared to trucks, suv's, Accods & Camry's (specifically). Good for image, but not direct sales improvement. IMO, Ford & GM need to come up with a good every day car. The 500 is close (just ugly) and GM has very little to compete with Accord and Camry. Just giving up on that area shouldn't be an option, but that's practically what they did. Trucks & suv's won't be so popular forever. With the gas prices going up, those sales are going to be dropping and Ford & GM will wish they'd gone after the mid sized cars instead of abandoning that position. Not to mention that Nissan is kicking some butt in the truck/suv area, Toyota is doing well too. Honda's in the mix now too. Marketshare is up for grabs.

Last edited:
Hmm... that could be interesting to see another Camaro or Firebird out on the roads again. We will just have to wait and see what happens.

Shane

I don't know if bringing back the worst selling platform in GM's recent history is going to "boost sales" per se. GM has a lot more flaws to fix before it even begins thinking about reviving the F-body. Such as:

GM in general:
Horrible interior materials, fit, finish and design (no offense, Dan, your work was pretty nice) has to be completely turned around. Plenty of GM's exterior design looks nice, but people spend all of their driving time looking at their steering wheel, dashboard, console and seats. The only division here that isn't TOTAL crap is Cadillac...and even by its class' standards, it's still kinda subpar.

Chevrolet:
Okay...when I said they have a lot of good exterior design...Chevy has none of it. Every time they try to improve something, at least in the past 4-5 years...the make it worse. The new Impala/Monte Carlo took a bad general shape and slapped one of the most milqutoast snouts on the front of it. The Corvette was a disappointment (the C5 was gorgeous and, yes, hard to top...but they could have tried a little harder on their halo vehicle). The Cobalt looks like a Cavalier design they turned down several years ago and their trucks have the worst interiors in the market...not an endearing quality.

Pontiac:
Pontiac seems to have all the styling marbles south of ridiculous prices. However, poor quality problems and still ugly interiors are still holding it back. The only real exception being the Vibe...which is a Toyota through and through. Oh...and they could have made a few more tweaks to the grand Prix to keep the sprting look it used to have. C'est la vie.

Buick:
The one Gm division that doesn't appear to be a total failure, really. Decent, though expectedly bland design coupled with decent though bland interior work seem to make...safe...sales. Everybody over 50 seems to be snatching them up, especially versus their Mercury competition, but something is still lacking. In their quest to become the American Lexus, however, they still have plenty to work left to do, even with the LaCrosse and Lucerne and possibility of the Velite getting the green light.

Saturn:
The division that everyone forgot. They're still made out of plastic...styled horribly...and are boring as hell. Even in Red Line trim. They're trying to make it the import fighter that Oldsmobile was supposed to be and are introducing the halfway decent looking Sky and Aura (both of which are still gutless when compared to competition) but are a step in the right direction. Even the interiors of the Sky/Aura look nice. But, then again, there was a reason Olds failed...

Cadillac:
Cadillac is riding exclusively on its Northstar engines (which are great unless you try endurance racing with them) and their Escalade. Problem, they're still a bastard luxury marque because, today, people want a little CLASS in their luxury. Cadillac is trying to find it's 50s roots with big, brash, super-shiny look-at-me Art & Science design theme. The CTS is hideous (though selling well due to price-to-size ratio), the STS is the first example of them getting it right stylingwise...kinda, the SRX and XLR are both absolute sales failures (a truck that was never meant to be and a convertible that has people asking "are Caddys really WORTH $75k?") and the Escalade, though still popular, is going to see a sharp decline with the gas problems we are having.

GMC:
What's a GMC?

Anyone here see the Solstice on the Apprentice the other night? Pretty darn good looking car. I think it was ~170 hp, not sure about the weight though. Looked really good.

i for one hope they bring a new camaro back out and if they do ill be one of the first in line to get one, if its gotta a decent price. would love to see a 400-450 hp ls2 or ls6 under the hood of a restyled camaro, but as much as i would love to see a restyle of the 69 camaro i also dont feel they should go retro, because i feel once you take a car all the way back to the beginning somethings wrong, they are running outta designs with the car.....as well as the mustang is doing, i dont like it, looks way to cheaply designed to me and is underpowered still to the deceased camaro SS and z28. sure they got the cobra, but nobody seems to recall the chevy and pontiac special cars. such as the zl1 with phase 1 380 hp phase 2 425 hp and the AWESOME 427 ci 600 hp phase 3 2002 camaro zl1.......but i also hope that if they dont do retro, that they dont make a disastor outta it like the gto as great a car as it is, its still ugly. and chevy already screwed the name SS with its new lineup, i mean to me SS stands for rear-wheel v8 power, but thats just me.

but anyways, ill quit rambling gotta go.

Back