PLEASE HELP- I need advice on gears

matteo

Jimmy 2Coupes got me thinking about not going to 3.73s. I have a '92 5-speed, and i wanted your guys advice on what i should do. i dont take it on the freeway much, and its not my daily driver. i ran a 15.8 1/4 mile and i was told 3.73s would take .5-1s off my time. but of course before i do anything i'm running it by you guys.

so, what gears do you recomend/use? stock, 3.08, 3.27, 3.55, or 3.73?

matteo said:
Jimmy 2Coupes got me thinking about not going to 3.73s. I have a '92 5-speed, and i wanted your guys advice on what i should do. i dont take it on the freeway much, and its not my daily driver. i ran a 15.8 1/4 mile and i was told 3.73s would take .5-1s off my time. but of course before i do anything i'm running it by you guys.

so, what gears do you recomend/use? stock, 3.08, 3.27, 3.55, or 3.73?

3.27...3:73 would just be plain silly...

Brad

I just bought 3.27 to my '90 5-speed .... I think if you will go to 3.55 or 3.73, your first gear is almost useless!

anyone else? what if i could get the 3.73s for free, would that make it worth not driveing on the freeway?

I just went from 2.73 to 3.27 a couple of months ago. I think the change was great but I wouldn't go any higher than 3.27. I do some freeway driving and now 4th gear is not usable on the freeway as it used to be. By the time I hit 80mph I'm revving pretty good and wouldn't want to be revving higher. And, first gear would be useless.

Jon

Gears

I have a 92 5spd, I switched to 3.27 and I actually didn't like it at all. It made 1st gear really short and driving on the freeway very limiting because the engine was reving too high. I then went to 3.08 and I am VERY happy. If you don't do much freeway driving then 3.27 would be best. If you went any higher, I think you would loose 1st gear all together.
Brett

i just put 3.27's in my 89 xr7 5sp last week and i was totally AMAZED at the difference. DO NOT put anything lower than a 3.27!!!! first gear is almost useless now let alone if you go lower. second gears blisters the tires without even popping the clutch!! at about 80 down the interstate its turning about 2900-3000 rpms. that is the perfect gear for that car with a 5sp. i am very happy with mine. :D

Back