M5R2 5 speed sources?

green73

I really want to source a 5 speed for my bird. I did some searching, and found some info on the M5R2. First question, Is the M5R2 the correct model for the SC Bird? In searching this is what I found: M5R2
Mazda built 5 speed fully synchronized transmission found in 1988 to present Ford F150 series trucks and full size Broncos. Aluminum case, extension housing, and shift cover, with integral bell housing. Very similar in design to M5R1, but larger with shift lever located in center of shift cover. Available in 2 and 4WD versions. 1995 and later models have top cover reverse light switch moved to forward corner of shift cover. In 1996 case is changed to accommodate modular motor (4.6L), with starter bolt pattern being triangular. In 1999 the case was changed for 4.2L 4wd drive vehicles. The case is very similar to earlier style units with case length shorter on 4.6L and 4.2L models.

None of this mentions the Thunderbird application, but could one be used from the plentiful F150 trucks? Or am I 100% wrong. I can't see Ford using the transmission for the just the SC Bird, which is why I may be confused. Please direct me in the right direction. I know the clutch pedal, and other bits and pieces from the trucks won't swap over, but the core of the tranny?

Thanks for any clarity on my confusion.

I asked this question a few weeks ago and a couple of guys informed me that the shifter for the M5R2 on our cars is in a different location than the trannys on Broncos and F-150's. One also said that our trannys had some sort of suffix after the M5R2 that differentiates the two.

The M5R2's in SC's are not interchangeable with the F150's. Different flywheel also. You have to buy a Thunderbird M5R2.

another thing i can add to this one, the shifter linkage isnt in the same location, i bought a tranny from "westerntransmissioncenter.com" and it the truck type m5r2, he left the tailshaft off and told me to see if i could just put my tail shaft on, the shifter though for that one was in the middle on the top, my shifter for the t-bird tranny was at the end in the tailshaft, me and my bro removed my tailshaft and tried to make the rebuilt one work, no way possible, there was a big rod, and it would go threw the hole (shifter fork i think) so..i ended up sending back both trannys and he rebuilt mine.. hope that helps.. Alex L

thanks for the replies and explanations on a newbies question. I did search the subject, and didn't see anything. You guys just kept me from potentially making a $$$ mistake though. It's too bad this swap won't work :(

The swap won't work !!!???

Tell me about it. I just bought a 94 parts car (5 speed) so I could use the console, pedals, e-brake, etc. to convert my V8 car to a 5 speed. I am pulling my hair out trying to figure out what tranny I can use. A few guys told me that the 1999 F-150 trans will work, but I will need to rebuid the case with all SC stuff. I am hoping this will work... if not I may have to see if I can cut and mate together the bell housings. Not looking forward to that... but oh well I guess. Them I don't even know what kind of torque it will handle. Probably not what I am hoping to throw at it. I have heard that a 2002 mustang trans will work since the shifter is a cable shifter. I bet that ain't cheap, but if I gotta I gotta. I hope that sometime someone will contact me or post some step by step info on this conversion for a V8 car.

Back