PDA

View Full Version : How HOt does yur SC get? Fan Swtich prob?

paulford8
04-19-2005, 11:38 AM
I am curious about how hot other SC's get? I keep getting low on coolant. At first I thought I had a great head gasket adventure. NOw I think the car just gets to hot and blows the coolant out of the radiator. Watching it in my driveway I noticed the fan doesnt turn on until the temp gauge is on the M on norm or even past the M.

If I drive around a while my little radiator low light comes on, I check the coolant and the rad. is low but the over flow is full.....

Is there a fan switch I can install to make this thing come on?

blue94sc
04-19-2005, 12:05 PM
Have you purged the air out of the cooling system?
Also I would replace the radiator cap and do a pressure test.
If I can remember, my fan would turn on low speed around the N mark.
Now my temp only gets between the N and the mark on the left.
But I have installed a 180 T-stat and an intercooler fan.
You could also do a KOEO test (key on engine off) to see if your fan is actually working or if there is a switch or relay that is bad.

paulford8
04-19-2005, 12:14 PM
I know the fan is working. After my low light came back on after I had just filled it I opened the hood with it running. The fan was not on. I watched my gauge and the fan kicked on just past the M. The guage then rapidly went down between the NO.

By removing that pressure release cap when filling I should be getting rid of air in the system correct?

I know that the old style mech. fans robbed HP but there is just something about knowing that your fan is running all the time......My 92 Bronco has such a mech fan and never gets to warm, even on the hottest days.

David Neibert
04-19-2005, 12:16 PM
Sounds like your low speed fan isn't working because "M" is about where the high speed should turn on.

David

paulford8
04-19-2005, 12:23 PM
The one fan is two speeds? SOme kind of relay, switch or sensor I can replace to make this thing kick on?

darriantbird
04-19-2005, 01:11 PM
I just had the same problem,it was due to corrosion on the connector blades .I used a small screw driver to scrape the the green corrsion out . This takes a little time and patience but it did cure my low speed fan problem.

Jeremy_K
04-19-2005, 01:48 PM
A bad fan or no fan period doesn't explain losing coolant. check or replace your rad. cap. then purge the air from the system. make sure none of the miles of coolant hoses are leaking.

paulford8
04-19-2005, 02:21 PM
I just had the same problem,it was due to corrosion on the connector blades .I used a small screw driver to scrape the the green corrsion out . This takes a little time and patience but it did cure my low speed fan problem.

What connector blades? Just the wire harness connected to the fan?

I dont think I lost much if any coolant. I will replace the cap and I inspected all hoses and found no leaks. It just gets hot enough that the pressure blows some coolant into the over flow bottle. Atleast that is what I think is happening!!

Jeremy_K
04-19-2005, 02:30 PM

I dont think I lost much if any coolant. I will replace the cap and I inspected all hoses and found no leaks. It just gets hot enough that the pressure blows some coolant into the over flow bottle. Atleast that is what I think is happening!!
When my rad. cap was leaking it would gush into the overflow also. It's like turning the cap when it's hot. You will see it gush into the overflow. I got a new cap with the vent lever on it. it works pretty good.

darriantbird
04-19-2005, 03:46 PM

Yes the fan plugs into the harness unplug it :rolleyes: then look-male three prong and female conterpart.look for corrosion on thes inside .should bee a greenish color . you Can lose coolant through the over flow tank if it over heats .Thats what it is there for! you Know :rolleyes: expantion!

TbirdSCFan
04-19-2005, 03:56 PM
It just gets hot enough that the pressure blows some coolant into the over flow bottle. Atleast that is what I think is happening!!There are 2 marks on the coolant bottle. When the car is cold, there should be coolant up to the bottom mark. When the car is hot, the increased pressure should force coolant past the rad cap and into the bottle and it should be at the upper mark. If it is dry, add coolant to the bottle when its cold and check it for a few days.

paulford8
04-19-2005, 06:25 PM
I did put a cap on but I dont think that has anything to do with my probs. I turned the key with out starting... No fan, I unhooked the fan and ran power to each side one at time, both made fan come on..

This is why my newest toy car has been a 71 up until this point. This little electrical, could be this or that sensor or fuseable link or some crap like that!!!!!!!! I have got to get this fan going!!

SCgraphics guy
04-20-2005, 12:26 AM
Get a temp gun, & point it at the thermostat housing with the car running you should here the fan come on (about 220), then if the temp continues to rise you should here it go to hi speed (about 228).

If your really concerned about the temp,you can purchase a fan switch from Jegs or Summit( or some of the club vendors) like the one BE COOL, or Perma cool makes. these will allow you to overide the factory settings and adjust the temp where the fan comes on manualy.

You should also make sure the system is purged as mentioned above.
what I like to do is when the car is cool open the purge valve to where you can see the holes in the side of it. start the car & add coolant as needed until it warms up. when the system is full coolant will begin to overflow out the holes in the purge valve. when this happens tighten the valve.
close the radiator fill cap. and check or test drive the car.
If while purging the system the radiator begins to spew coolant agressively you may have head gasket failure. A small amount of overflow is normal but exsessive overflow may point to he coolant system being pressurized by cylinder pressure due to a head gasket leak.
The only way to rule this out is to do an exhaust gas test on the coolant system.
Also consider a pressurized coolant system(due to HG failure) may not allow coolant to return from the overflow tank as it should, or the system to operate & circulate properly causing overheating.