strut tower braces (where to get?)

cinstral

SCCoA Member
does anybody know where i can get strut tower braces for the front and rear? pics preferred if ya got 'em! even custom jobs.

Attachments

• cou pic1.jpg
    cou pic1.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 2,129
kennybrown.com

Check it out: <a href="http://www.kennybrown.com/tbirdparts.html">Kenny Brown T-Bird accessories</a>

Thank you.

Thanks for the reply, wow, they have lots of goodies there. Has anybody experimented with a rear strut tower brace? Would it make a big difference? (handling, launches?) Thanks for any replies.

hmmm. I'm not sure that any of those braces would help with much on our cars.

Both the rear and the front suspension is hung off of subassemblies that are bolted to the body. So the only stress the strut towers see is from the shock pounding on it. Unlike a actual integrated suspension strut, our shocks play no role in turning or mounting of suspension components.

It's the sub-assemblies themselves that could use re-inforcing.

IRS BuildUp Article

irs.jpg

Mike, so are you saying that a front strut tower brace may not give any performance advantage? If so, then what are your recommendations on beefing up the front end? I've read the IRS buildup article and plan on doing this once my brake issues are corrected and I find a full week to work on this project.

Thanks
Greg

I guess my thoughts (strictly my thoughts based on garage logic) are that because there isn't any direct coupling of the suspension to the shock towers (like may occur in a McPherson strut design) that reinforcing these towers would not have any impact on front suspension performance.

That said - Handling performance could benefit from a front strut tower brace, not from the fact that the towers are made more rigid, but because the uni-body of the car is made more rigid.

Adding a cross support certainly must impact the flexibility of the body of the car. Thus you are increasing structural rigidity of the chassis which should improve handling in general.

In other words it's symantecs as in our car it's not so much a front strut tower brace as it is a front strut tower crossmember.

Our strut tower doesn't really need bracing.

IMHO

A follow-up on the strut tower.

I was under the car this weekend and noticed that our upper a-arm is mounted through the shock tower. Looking at the picture below you can see where it mounts up.

Looking at it though, it is mounted near enough to the weld there at the edge of the frame that I doubt a strut tower link is going to do much to further secure the mount.

Just thought I'd follow-up.

topsuspensionmount.jpg

Back