Next Mod?

Quick Cat 89

ok...i have exghaust, 10% SC pulley, removed air silencer with a cone filter. what is the next modification i should do for the biggest boost. im only 18 and work at a fast food joint so money is a definate downfall. i was just wondering what should be the next mod for the best bang and preferably the lowest amount of money...any input would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!! :confused:

Quick Cat 89 said:
ok...i have exghaust, 10% SC pulley, removed air silencer with a cone filter. what is the next modification i should do for the biggest boost. im only 18 and work at a fast food joint so money is a definate downfall. i was just wondering what should be the next mod for the best bang and preferably the lowest amount of money...any input would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!! :confused:

Sounds like from your mods that you have a free flowing exhaust, so I would focus on the intake side now. Perhaps a MAF, TB and a 3" air intake (CAI). $500-$600 roughly for these three items new.

I believe a 10% pulley is to much for a stock IC and no fan. Put on a IC fan right away and upgrade the IC as soon as you can afford it. On a warm day your air temperatures are getting to high and the EEC will retard your timing.

On a 1/4 mile run with the 10% installed you will get better 60 foot and 330 foot, over the stock pulley. But your car will start dying at the end because the IC cannot keep up with the heat created from the 10% pulley and the EEC will retard the timing to save the motor.

If your A/C is not working take the condenser out. Then add an 8" intercooler fan and 180 thermostat. Won't build any more power, but you will be more consistant. I did that and I ran over 1 sec quicker in the 1/4 mile. :eek: My car would lay down at the end of the track I believe due to way too much heat created by the 10% pulley and stock intercooler. When I put it on the car it pulled better at the end of the track.

When I was at your point, I looked for a late model supercharger and nothing else. Got one off of ebay for $250 and it came with alot of other pieces too.

CMac89 said:
When I was at your point, I looked for a late model supercharger and nothing else. Got one off of ebay for $250 and it came with alot of other pieces too.

i think i need an intercooler fan and intercooler. i can feel it fall off but i never thought of the pulley being the problem. that makes alot of sense though. thanks a bunch. i appreciate ALL you help!!! if it wasn't for this website i'd be screwed! lol... :cool: how much is an intercooler fan or a front mount? Underdrives? what exactly is the story about jackshaft pulleys?

Last edited:
Save Your Money!!!

Sooner or later, the head gasket monster will show its head and you'll be needing some cash for the fix. Especially running a 10% pulley, you are pushing the envelope already.

I NEVER suggest the 10% pulley unless you have either COMPLETE exhaust (not just cat-back), and extensive head work. The pulley is also great if you plan on NEVER revving teh car above 4000 rpm.

5% is perfect upgrade and you can use the power all throughout the power band. The biggest problem with these cars is the lack of sufficient cooling for the car. Ever notice how the car temps get really hot fast after a hard acceleration????

My Suggestion:

5% pulley, Cold Air intake, IC fan, Maybe a better radiator to help cooling and save motor.

Don

Back