ABS Need help in SoCal

justbeachin

One of my co-workers has a SC Thunderbird 1990, and took it to shop to have work done, rear brakes, and immediately after, they were told ABS unit was out. On my Typhoon (and Syclones) it is known by BB owners that if you change the brakes, and do not crack the bleeder screw, you basically compress the pistons, pushing the dirty fluid back up through ABS unit, and using the ABS Unit as an expensive filter, and this has been known to damage the unit.

Do you know if this is a known issue with the SC T-Birds too? I'm here in SoCal, and my co-worker is too, but is apalled by the $1300 price that the mechanic is wanting for the new unit. I know on our BB, Syty.net, I've been able to find good deals from other members, and wanted to point my co-worker in the right direction to team up with other KNOWLEDGEABLE owners.

Anyone that can help, please drop me an email, or reply to this post.

Thanks in advance,

Doug
SoCal
93 GMC Typhoon, 13.3 @ 101

justbeachin said:
One of my co-workers has a SC Thunderbird 1990, and took it to shop to have work done, rear brakes, and immediately after, they were told ABS unit was out. On my Typhoon (and Syclones) it is known by BB owners that if you change the brakes, and do not crack the bleeder screw, you basically compress the pistons, pushing the dirty fluid back up through ABS unit, and using the ABS Unit as an expensive filter, and this has been known to damage the unit.

Do you know if this is a known issue with the SC T-Birds too? I'm here in SoCal, and my co-worker is too, but is apalled by the $1300 price that the mechanic is wanting for the new unit. I know on our BB, Syty.net, I've been able to find good deals from other members, and wanted to point my co-worker in the right direction to team up with other KNOWLEDGEABLE owners.

Anyone that can help, please drop me an email, or reply to this post.

Thanks in advance,

Doug
SoCal
93 GMC Typhoon, 13.3 @ 101
You need to do a search on ABS and read up. What you'll find is that indeed $1300 is the replacement price; however, you can pay around $400 for a rebuilt unit, or depending on if you want to spend a bit of time getting your hands dirty, as little as $12 for a problem relay or $125 for an accumulator. These 2 items account for about 90% of all ABS and power assisted braking problems. :cool:

Our Teves II does not have a filter, so compressing the piston will not cause a problem... But if the techs at the shop failed to turn the key on when attempting to bleed the rear calipers, its no wonder that they would tell your friend that their ABS is bad.

Tell your friend to join SCCOA, visit often, search on key words and READ READ READ! It is the only way they'll be able to own the car and not go broke doing so. ;) ;) :cool:

Back