Knock Sensor Question

FLBlackBird

I recently replace my motor mounts. I found the motor mount testimonial on the forum very helpful. Thanks guys.

In the process I managed to snap the knock sensor. I have had 2 different parts stores order a new sensor, and both have been wrong. I did some searching on here for knock sensor issues, and someone mentioned that they were all the same for the SC's. Both wrong parts have had a different size thread and the connector is slightly different. NAPA had a couple different listings, and of course got in the wrong one. The part number they ordered is DKS304. I have them ordering in a DKS306 because the picture looks closer to mine.

Any thoughts on part #'s or differences? I dont' want to run my car without one for long, although it has been running fine without it, but I hate taking chances.

I look forward to any help or info you guys can provide.

I did the same thing when I replaced my motor mounts. I was in the junkyard for other parts so I grabbed one there. I don't think there is anything to wear out in those. They gave it to me for free, seems OK. If you can't find a new one you might try your local JY.
Does anyone know how to test those?

Aparently there are no aftermarket knock sensors for the 89-93 SC. Napa gave me one (DKS304) that has the same connector but a larger thread. The DKS306 that FLBlackBird noted is supposed to be for a Taurus SHO from about the same year and it does has a smaller thread, so I am going to try it first. Since my boneyard don't have diddily, I am thinking about drilling out the bushing and re-tapping to the larger size if the other one doesn't fit. :D

How to NOT break the Knock Sensor

FLBlackBird said:
I recently replace my motor mounts. In the process I managed to snap the knock sensor.
I'm about to change my motor mounts too. I really would like to avoid breaking the knock sensor. Any tips or procdures to avoid breakin' it?

68COUGAR

68COUGAR said:
I'm about to change my motor mounts too. I really would like to avoid breaking the knock sensor. Any tips or procdures to avoid breakin' it?

68COUGAR
Yes, just don't smack it. ;) If you use a long enough extension(s), a swivel, 6 sided socket fully seated, and a breaker bar, then when you crank down on it, you should have no problem.

knock sensor

the part number for the knock sensor is F3LY12A699A i believe it is a ford number and it should be about $54.04 the labor to replace it with the pinpoint test is .9 hours std. and .6 hours warr. I just love this software!!!

Back