David Neibert: About your Turbo project....

Do you have any updates to share with us on your Turbo'ed V8 Supercoupe with Forcefab??? :confused:

I certainly hope to hear something on that. I plan to stop through there and see it when it's done. :cool:

That's a great question... Should be moving pretty good considering Chris's was done lickedy split! ... It's gonna be awesome! Can't Wait!

CHRIS, YOU DONE WITH YOUR GASKETS YET MAN!

Anthony

Yes Chris' car is done and looks great. From what I understand it ran great right up until the point were it blew a head gasket on the way over to be dyno tuned. Carson (guy who was driving) said they were going 40 mph and he gave it about 1/4 throttle and it blew the tires off with 3 or 4 pounds of boost and the car got sideways, then pop goes the HGs.

Here are some pics of Chris' turbocharged 347 SC.

http://www.turbomustangs.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38191

When I last spoke to Carson on Thursday, he insisted that my car was still on track for a May 1st completion. I think that's wishful thinking on his part, because they hadn't done any of the fabrication work as of Saturday the 16th.

I think it's going to come down to how long it takes to get the hot side parts coated. Since they have already done Chris' car they think mine will be a breeze and will only require using larger pipes (to accomadate the larger turbo) in some areas.

Since they get a $500 bonus for completion on May 1st (so I can bring the car to WFC 8), I'm sure they will be busting their humps to make that date. I already warned then not to take any shortcuts or do a half a$$ job just to get the bonus money or they will be doing it over for free.

I'm guessing mid May, but who knows.... they might pull it off by May 1st.

David

This is overall good news David. I hope May 1st will yield some results. This thing is going to be a monster!!! Did Carson put new headgaskets on Chris's car during the build? :confused:

dirtybird91 said:
This is overall good news David. I hope May 1st will yield some results. This thing is going to be a monster!!! Did Carson put new headgaskets on Chris's car during the build? :confused:

As far as I know, Carson didn't do any work to the motor in Chris' car. (you guys should probably be asking Chris these questions)

I think Chris' SC now falls into the "Crazy Power" category, and if mine performs as expected it should be downright Scary.

David

NCredSC said:
And it's not even a 3.8 :eek: :D

If Chris's is scary, yours should be horrifying. :eek: :D

Yeah...something like that. When the boost control knob is set to "Kill" both cars should make way more power than can be used safely on the street. Should be fun if I don't get stupid and wreck it.

David

PS: Sure Randy...I might even stop off in Effingham on the way back from Dayton.

David Neibert said:
Yeah...something like that. When the boost control knob is set to "Kill" both cars should make way more power than can be used safely on the street. Should be fun if I don't get stupid and wreck it.

David

PS: Sure Randy...I might even stop off in Effingham on the way back from Dayton.

LOL! David, you can save me a trip if you share the date of your possible visit with Randy. I can kill off two birds with one stone if I get with you AND Randy in one trip. :D

dirtybird91 said:
LOL! David, you can save me a trip if you share the date of your possible visit with Randy. I can kill off two birds with one stone if I get with you AND Randy in one trip. :D

Frank,

I don't really know the date, because I'm talking about stopping at Randy's on the way back from picking the car up in Dayton. After picking the car up from Forced Fab, I plan on spending another day with Dave Dalke dyno tuning it. Again, I can't really schedule anything with Dave until I know when the turbo system will be done.

David

David Neibert said:
Frank,

I don't really know the date, because I'm talking about stopping at Randy's on the way back from picking the car up in Dayton. After picking the car up from Forced Fab, I plan on spending another day with Dave Dalke dyno tuning it. Again, I can't really schedule anything with Dave until I know when the turbo system will be done.

David

Cool David! Keep us updated man!!! :eek:

Randy N Connie said:
Frank do you think David will be able to concentrate on driving.
With the both of us screaming during the ride. :eek:

RANDY :)

Naaaa! I'm still trying to figure out how David will concentrate when he see's a black man turn completely WHITE!!! :eek: :p :D

Talked with Carson yesterday and the car isn't going to be ready in time for World Ford Challenge. There was just too much to get done, and I didn't want them doing a rush job.

One of the major concerns is why the coating is coming off of Chris' hot pipes. His parts are all being sent back for recoating. Since mine is being coated and heat wrapped, I wouldn't know there was a problem until the pipes started rusting.

All things considered, I'm guessing another 4 weeks before it's ready for tuning.

Now I need to get out in the garage and fix the stuff I broke on the 91 racing it Friday night, so I'll have a car at WFC. I really hate those pesky nitrous explosions in the headers :( .

David

Sheit Man. What happened Friday? Did I miss a post. .. Not to hijack the Turbo thread. .. But your one of the few still consistantly running Nitrous, so I've got to follow the patterns for future reference. ;)

So do tell, everything alright?

Anthony

SilverCasket said:
Sheit Man. What happened Friday? Did I miss a post. .. Not to hijack the Turbo thread. .. But your one of the few still consistantly running Nitrous, so I've got to follow the patterns for future reference. ;)

So do tell, everything alright?

Anthony

Anthony,

I'm not a 100% on what happened, but I think it's ignition related. "Blowin out yer spark" then having the cats ignite the air/fuel/nitrous mixture seems to be the best explanation so far. It's the same thing that broke the car a month or two before last year's Shootout. This link has more details.

http://p075.ezboard.com/fthunderbirdundergroundfrm1.showMessage?topicID=8879.topic

It still runs okay, just sounds real loud and a little tinny and raspy when I get on the throttle hard enough to make any boost (like one of the cats is split wide open).

I need to pull the instrument cluster to reattach the boost gauge hose that blew off and is now hissing under the dash and get under the car to find out where the huge exhaust leak is coming from.

If I'm still motivated after doing that stuff, I'll pull the plugs and see what they look like. I think I just need to tighten the plug gap to about .030 to fix the problem.

David

Last edited:
"Fun Fun Fun till your wife takes your TBird Away!" ... That's how the song goes in my house. .lol.

Sounds like you've got a few projects there. .. Thanks for the update. .. I'm a couple months from plumbing the car. I've been waiting until I get 2 or 3 months of driving without breaking anything to see how the car fairs. .. Where were your gaps at? Weren't they at like 35 or 38?

Anthony

Back