i am totally frustrated pleez help!

scv6

i have totally rebuilt the engine in my 89 sc that i got in parts with the help i received from you very patient and understanding sccoa members now that is out of the way.i have recently intalled the engine and it runs like crap the engine will start eventually than run really rough at a minimum of 1000 rpm only with the throttle partialy open manualy, it is over fueling big time!!!! i can smell tons of unburnt fossil fuels from the exhaust. and i can hear afterfire in the exhaust pipes also here is a list of what tests and corrective actions i have tried.

checked for obvious vacum leaks .used t bird 88s intercooler gasket set.
new h2o sensors installed.
fuel pressure checked@42 psi at 1000 rpm.
totally stock rebuild no mods.
no obvious signs of damage on mass air.
engine was running great at the time a head gasket went south .sat for approx a year before the new mill.

any ideas on what i may have screwed up!!!!
thnx guys

lawrence weston
alberta canada [403]335-4266

new h2o sensors installed
there's your problem right there ....
though every 3.8l ford should of come with them ...for hg failure...O2 sensors lol.....

check your wires ..one of the books have ..the wrong order ...dave

why did'nt i stick with my tunnel ramed stang?

MercsSC said:
there's your problem right there ....
though every 3.8l ford should of come with them ...for hg failure...O2 sensors lol.....

check your wires ..one of the books have ..the wrong order ...dave

is this the correct firing order 1-4-2-5-3-6
rear coil terminals left to right 1-2-3
front 5-6-4
i'm going to check my handiwork oh let me be wrong!

That does sound like a problem with the spark plugs / wires or injectors. The simplest test is unplug the wires at the coil pack one by one and see if that changes the idle. It should. If you unplug one and the idle worsens, then that cylinder is probably ok. If you unplug one and nothing happens, then it indicates that that cylinder isn't doing much combustion. If you unplug one and the idle improves, then it probably means the firing order is wrong.

Also, you may have a leaky fuel injector or something. You can unplug those in turn (if you can reach them) and see if you can learn anything.

If neither test reveals anything, then you may have to start diagnosing the electronics.

Back