Need Tranny Advice !! Help !!

SC90_Pete

Ok, I have a 90 t-bird with around 70k miles on it. I recently had the tranny flushed and the filter changed while watching it happen so I know it was done right. Over the past 45-50 miles I've noticed that the trans slips the first time I come to the first stop sign right on my street. After this it shifts fine almost as if it only slips when it is cold.

Is this just the natural thing since the new tranny fluid isn't as viscous as the old fluid.

or

Is my tranny going out?

Now I have had some wacky idle problems every once in a while when I start it up. It will jump to about 1 grand and then fall down and die. This doesn't happen all the time and I also only drive the car every other weekend because I keep it at home, safe in the garage when I'm at school.

Could it be a Throttle Position Sensor that is causing the erratic idle and the tranny slipage?

Thanks in advance
-Pete

Check the TV cable connection on the side of the throttlebody linkage to confirm that it hasn't come apart. If it is still attached, it may be out of adjustment. The TV cable controls the fluid pressures in the AOD, so that may be the source of your slipping. Do a search on "TV cable" and you should find plenty of info on how to set it. Be aware that the adjustment procedures will only get you close to the mark, in reality you should use a pressure gauge connected to the tranny to get it dead on. In the mean time, don't drive the car until you check the TV cable and at least do the quick adjustment. These tranny's will self destruct very quickly when the pressure is out of range.

The erratic idle could be caused by a vacuum leak somewhere, or by the Idle Air Control (IAC) motor.

Back