charge light blinks

super-merc

I am in need of help again, my battery charge light is blinking on and off. I installed another alternator (used) on it and it stayed out for awhile. My old alternator looked pretty bad in the front, lots of nasty black powder. It doesn't happen until I drive the car for a few miles then it comes on at random times. If there is another thread for this please let me know. Has anyone else had this problem? I thank you all in advance, Rob

Just FYI...

NEVER BUY A USED ALTERNATOR!!!

They almost always fail due to bearing failure. Also, the diode that controls current flow goes bad, it will either under-charge or over-charge the battery.

Go to Auto-Zone or Pep-Boys (both have LIFETIME WARRANTY) for the alternator.

About $75 for the alternator.

Don

change it

buy a new alternator, if not you will soon be stranded. the charging light would come on randomly when i was driving, luckly i made it home late one night and i fried the fusable link fuse in the car. i changed the alternator and the fuse and i haven't had any problems since.
thanks, rob

lube70 said:
NEVER BUY A USED ALTERNATOR!!!

Go to Auto-Zone or Pep-Boys (both have LIFETIME WARRANTY) for the alternator.

About $75 for the alternator.
And be prepared to go again and again to get a replacement ;) Really... Azone reman alts are junk and you can count on at least 1 or 2 replacments under warranty before you get a good one that will last. At least that was my experience and many others will recount their own grief as well.
If a new alt is available, it is best; however, I've not seen any, even Napa sells rebuilts.

This is one time where I would say that someone would be better off with a used alt rather than buying a rebuilt one. :rolleyes:

You know, deep down I knew that an used alternator was a bad idea but for some reason I went with it anyway. Money issue I guess. I thank you all for the information, again, all ya all are the best, Rob

Back