Clutch out

tillotson_david

Well another problem with the bird. I was driving down the road and clutch decided to go out. Checked fluid level was low so added and just watched it go down still no clutch pressure. Looked under car and saw a leak was wondering if anyone knows what could be wrong and how i can fix the problem. Love my bird and want it flying again. Any help will be greatly appreciated. :confused:

Where is your leak? If it's the master cyl. or line it shouldn't be that bad. If it's your slave cyl. then you could be ****ed. It's inside the bellhousing. Check the bleed screw and line inlet on the slave. Make sure the screw is tight and that the inlet is not leaking(it has an O-ring on it). You also have a rubber plug on the driver side just forward of the bleed screw, you can open that and look inside with a flashlight to find the leak.

It Could Be: The leak is coming from the clutch line.

OR

It Could Be: Thats it's the slave cylinder in the bell housing that is BAD! You will need to drop the tranny and change it. But if I were you, since you will have to drop the tranny to fix the slave cylinder, go ahead and change the clutch. Get your driveshaft rebuilt and have your flywheel turned.....You can buy the LUK (factory replacement) Clutch Kit from Pep Boys for around 200UDS. The slave cylinder is around 100USD. The rebuilt of the u-joints and balanced driveshaft around 60USD, then the flywheel should be around 30USD to get turned at a machine shop (don't let take too much off of it, or you will have to use shims or get another flywheel).

I know it seems like a lot of money and it is, but like I said since you have the tranny down, go ahead and do some preventive maintenance. Also would be a good time to replace the rear main seal!!! Good Luck!

Last edited:
Back