High Oil level ?

HHHthegame

Well, I pulled the dipstick out of the car and the oil level is really high, app. 1 - 1.5" above the "full" Line. The car has been parked since end of October w/o being started ever, could that be why? Is this bad or normal? The oil looks really clean still as it was just changed about a month before being parked. Thanks Guys ! Austin

Sitting since October without starting is not a good thing, but who changed the oil last?. 5 quarts (incl filter) would normally take you just about 1/4" above the full line & that's ok. 1-1.5" above full sounds like 1-2 quarts too much. I assume we are talking about checking this on level ground !

Joisey Jim said:
Sitting since October without starting is not a good thing, but who changed the oil last?. 5 quarts (incl filter) would normally take you just about 1/4" above the full line & that's ok. 1-1.5" above full sounds like 1-2 quarts too much. I assume we are talking about checking this on level ground !
Don't screw around , drain the oil and see if there is any water in the oil pan.

The HG were fine when I parked it (on level Ground by the way, lol). I was just wondering about it. And the guy filled it with 5 quarts of Mobil 1 cause thats what I brought him to put in it. HG's can't go out unless the car is running can they?

I'm not saying your HG's are gone but yes they can fail with the car just setting and not being run. Corosion and elctrolysis is the biggest contributer to HG failure contrary to popular believe.

This is what happened when my headgaskets blew, I parked the car one night and the next morning the hg's were blown. Also I wouldnt want to run the car with excessive oil in it cause that can cause hydrolocked motor, which is very bad.

Well I went out and check the oil in our Impreza and it was high too today, about the same on the dipstick as the T-Bird, and that only set for a week maybe since last being driven. Hey Mike, any word on the IC yet, I can't take it anymore :p , lol. What if I drain the oil and there is no water, then just change it again and don't let the mechanic do it or has the damage been done already in terms of hydrolocking, etc:? The car drove fine when it was parked. Now im going to panic guys, lol ! ! :eek: :eek:

No

Overfilled crankcase doesn't cause hydrolock. The problem with an overfilled crankcase is that the rotation of the crankshaft causes aeration of the oil which in turn leads to oil starvation to the bearings because of the air in the oil. Hydrolocking is when the noncompressable coolant gets into the combustion chamber via a blown headgasket. This causes broken and bent things like the rods. John

Drain the oil and check for water....

If no water is found, no problem......Just refill and enjoy..... :D

Back