New Question On Maf

ebscbird

I Was Reading On Mn12 Performance Website And I Read That You Can Use A Mark 8 Maf That Is 80mm On Are Cars Is This True And If So How Does It Halp Us? Also I Read Alot About Guys Using 4.3 Motors Where Are You Getting Them And How Do They Help Us?

i got a 70mm off a newer tbird or crown vic im not sure how big the mark 8 is , im not sure it will help much till you get a better exhaust

The MarkVIII MAF is being used by several folks here, do a search for specifics.

Some were told not to use it but those that have, claim they run a little richer, but also claim that it gave good results on the arse dyno.

I had one I was gonna use, but sold it before I got to try it out. From what i read, I was convinced it was worth it.

I ended up buyng a C&L unit and 42lb injedtors, which precludes the possibility of using a stock MAF.

You can find them in the classifieds, or on ebay regualrly...

Good luck!

MAF changes are a misconception. Getting a bigger MAF doesn't create significantly more HP. What happens with an aftermarket MAF is that they are calibrated to lean out the motor. Stock AF is 11.5:1 on most SC's and 10.5 on the 94/95's. By calibrating a lean condition up to 12.5:1 they generate more power. This is fine - unless you have a chip also or a K&N filter! K&N filters tend to coat the MAF wires with oil reducing the MAF output and in turn leaning out the motor. Chips will also have the AF ratio optimized in the tune, so then it is possible to have a chip that is commanding an AF of 11.8:1, a meter adding 1.0 to that number, making it 12.8:1, and a K&N giving it false readings and - viola - you have a motor running at 13.x:1. A good recipe for blown detonation and blown headgaskets.

I'm not making this stuff up. It happens all the time.

While it is true that the MAF can become a restriction, it should not be looked upon as a simple "bolt on HP adder". The MAF is the icing on the cake. Make sure you have everything else in order and that you are getting the MAF that will compliment your system based on your airflow requirements. :)

Thats good stuuf

Dave,

I dont quite understand. Are you saying its bad to have a K&N. I have a K&N on the stock MAF (93). Does this create a problem. Should the wire on the MAF be cleaned. I understand they run leaner, and somewhat better. But does this create an issue for the MAF? Thanks

Dahoopd said:
Dave,

I dont quite understand. Are you saying its bad to have a K&N. I have a K&N on the stock MAF (93). Does this create a problem. Should the wire on the MAF be cleaned. I understand they run leaner, and somewhat better. But does this create an issue for the MAF? Thanks

Just saying you need to clean the wires periodically and don't reoil your filter every week. ;) K&N filters flow better when dirty anyhow.

Back