Diffrent ideal on dbl IC

kenewagner

Finished another Intercooler for one of the local SC members here in NE. Sam wanted the best flowing and cooling design that we both could come up. I fabricated larger end tanks for both ends. There is a divider in the top to split the air stream so both cores will cool equally. I ported both intake and outlet to open them up for better flow. The lower end tank has vanes to direct the air to the outlet. Sam wanted a shroud on the back so the IC fan can suck air through the cores for better cooling. I think Sam is happy with the results. It is the best we could come up with to date for improving on the DBL IC that a lot of the guys out there are running

Attachments

• New IC.jpg
    New IC.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 172
  • New IC 3.jpg
    New IC 3.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 199
  • New IC 2.jpg
    New IC 2.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 189
kenewagner what are doing about the glued tubes? I'm asking because I'm working on 2 IC's and I've learned that there are at least 2 differently constructed tubes on SC IC's. The 2 I'm working on now have tubes that are made by taking 2 pieces of C channel Aluminum and glueing them together to make a rectanguliar tube. Needless to say welding those things is a major pain in the arse. Welding the narrow side of the tube is where all the problem is because thats where they glued the 2 pieces together.

I'm in the process of building a new one also. Here's a photo of where it's at now. I've taped the 2 together and will have them welded together next week. I'm porting them and have a little bit more to do. Does your divider run fron side to side? And about how tall did you make it, about 1/2"? I was going to do the end tanks about like you have yours.

Attachments

• intercooler cores.jpg
    intercooler cores.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 202
Mike you better be thinking of a way to deal with the glue joints where the tubes meet the header plates. The glue will loose its seal once you weld the cores together, welding the endtanks on will destroy the rest of the glue joints. I will not be useing anymore stock IC cores for IC's anymore, they are just too much trouble to fool with and way too much work.

MIKE 38sc said:
kenewagner what are doing about the glued tubes? I'm asking because I'm working on 2 IC's and I've learned that there are at least 2 differently constructed tubes on SC IC's. The 2 I'm working on now have tubes that are made by taking 2 pieces of C channel Aluminum and glueing them together to make a rectanguliar tube. Needless to say welding those things is a major pain in the arse. Welding the narrow side of the tube is where all the problem is because thats where they glued the 2 pieces together.

I use an alum epoxy to reseal the tubes at the header plate. I found out early that These IC leak around the tubes at the header plate after welding. I am not sure about the C channel you are describing, can you post a picture? I have all my IC cores dunked in a cold paint stripping tank to remove all the paint. After welding I reseal with Delvcon Alum epoxy. I have read many post on the forums were people have a bad idle and cant figure out why. Most probably have mods like a DBL cooler or a raised top. I beleive if you dont go that extra step and seal the tubes and than pressure test, or machine the flange on a welded raised top some of these modified IC and raised tops are leaking and causing more problems than the performace gain they give.

Last edited:
I'm trying to avoid using anymore epoxy in these IC's because it eventualy fails. Every stock IC I've pressure checked leaked badly at those joints and thats before I even started cutting them up to get ready for welding.
These 2 IC's have eaten my lunch and I've gone way down the hole on labor with them. I will not build anymore useing stock cores because I just dont like the glue to begin with. Geuss I better be ordering some Devcon or I'll never get these things finnished. :mad:

I've used regular polyester resin also. I'll use Mas epoxy this time. After it's all welded up, I wrap masking tape around the outside of each end halfway on the tank and halfway on the tubes making sure it's stuck and sealed real good. A big rubber band helps. I mix up the resin and pour it into the tube area and build it up to about 1/4-3/8". The tape acts like a dam to hold it in. Do this on both ends of the IC. It'll form a nice plastic block on each end and permanently seal it. The one I made before and is on my drag racer shows no signs of deterioration after 3 years.

Last edited:
kenewagner the trouble spots are circled in red in this pic. What the mfg'er (Valeo) did on these tubes is use 2 pieces of Aluminum C channel laying them on top of one another to form a rectanguliar tube. Those ends I circled are where the 2 short sides of the C overlap one another, they glued that overlapping joint making a single tube. This is the first time I've run into this as all tubes I've previously welded were one piece extrusions. Welding across those ends causes the glued to just boil up into the molten Aluminum leaving tiny pinholes. They do not leak as bad as before I started working on them but they do leak none the less and I will not return them to the customer leaking. :(
I've got to get this resolved as soon as possable before the guy's completely meltdown.

MIKE 38sc said:
kenewagner the trouble spots are circled in red in this pic. What the mfg'er (Valeo) did on these tubes is use 2 pieces of Aluminum C channel laying them on top of one another to form a rectanguliar tube. Those ends I circled are where the 2 short sides of the C overlap one another, they glued that overlapping joint making a single tube. This is the first time I've run into this as all tubes I've previously welded were one piece extrusions. Welding across those ends causes the glued to just boil up into the molten Aluminum leaving tiny pinholes. They do not leak as bad as before I started working on them but they do leak none the less and I will not return them to the customer leaking. :(
I've got to get this resolved as soon as possable before the guy's completely meltdown.

Sorry here's the picture.

Attachments

• IC2.JPG
    IC2.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 146
Mike, wouldn't epoxying them like I do solve that problem? There'll be a layer of epoxy on the other side of the housing to completely seal it. While the epoxy is liquid it'll seep into any tiny cracks or holes by capillary action and gravity.

Yes it will fix the leaks until it breaks down again and starts leaking.
I'm trying to get entirely away from the glue, but it may not be possable at this point.
I'de like to go on a camping trip with the engineer that decided glue was a good thing on IC's and radiators. :mad: :mad: :mad:
He would find a different line of work I assure you. :D

Ya know....the factory knew darn good and well there was a problem with glued tubes on these IC's because they already welded up leaky spots in them before the endtanks were welded inplace.
I'm starting to have no use at all for the penny pinching short cut taking tick turds at the car factory's, and I'm not talking about the assembly line workers either. :mad:

MIKE 38sc said:
Yes it will fix the leaks until it breaks down again and starts leaking.
I'm trying to get entirely away from the glue, but it may not be possable at this point.
I'de like to go on a camping trip with the engineer that decided glue was a good thing on IC's and radiators. :mad: :mad: :mad:
He would find a different line of work I assure you. :D

Ya know....the factory knew darn good and well there was a problem with glued tubes on these IC's because they already welded up leaky spots in them before the endtanks were welded inplace.
I'm starting to have no use at all for the penny pinching short cut taking tick turds at the car factory's, and I'm not talking about the assembly line workers either. :mad:

Mike is right on. I weld my end tanks on and than lay it fins down and mix up a batch of epoxy. I use a thin tie strap and push some of the epoxy down between two tubes and the header plate. Its thick but will slowly run down along the tubes. Next day I turn it 180 degrees and do the other side. Next day after that I stand it up and seal the crack between the cores and the flat sides of the tubes & so on. Its slow and maybe there is a faster way. Since I am under no time line to get them done. I just take what ever time needed to get them sealed. It also helps that I have stripped the paint and scraped where ever possible to get the epoxy to bond well to the alum. Sealing all around the cores as mike suggested would work well as the epoxy is self leveling once you have enough of it around the cores. I agree with you it is a poor way for the factory to build a core.

Ken

Hey Ken....I just saw Sam's Double Intercooler and I must say, it's friggin' beautiful! Very nice work.

Andy

adpsmp said:
Hey Ken....I just saw Sam's Double Intercooler and I must say, it's friggin' beautiful! Very nice work.

Andy

Thanks Andy, its Sam idea of adding the shroud. I had to shorten it a little so it would fit under the 3" measurement. I guess we will see if it does the job.

kenewagner said:
Finished another Intercooler for one of the local SC members here in NE. Sam wanted the best flowing and cooling design that we both could come up. I fabricated larger end tanks for both ends. There is a divider in the top to split the air stream so both cores will cool equally. I ported both intake and outlet to open them up for better flow. The lower end tank has vanes to direct the air to the outlet. Sam wanted a shroud on the back so the IC fan can suck air through the cores for better cooling. I think Sam is happy with the results. It is the best we could come up with to date for improving on the DBL IC that a lot of the guys out there are running

Hi Andy,
That is a nice looking I/C I have someone to make mine already. I was wordering what you would charge me for one two or three. I would like to try new products and see what works best. I have had great results with the person that does mine but the shipping is a killer and retundn time is sometimes a factor. I need one for two of my own sc's and would like to see if we could talk in case I loose my connection. He is getting into a more technical area of these cars and his time is short due to his other job. But he does do exellent work. Yours look like a work of art. I would be proud to have one in my two cars one is my sons and the other is for my new projet. Please answer me ASAP. I am ready to order a Magnum powers Fmic and if we can see what your,s will deliver... I just may want to go with one of yours. I would still probably use the FMIC from MP but would like to try one or two of yours for startrs and see where we go from there. I'm very Interested all the way around. what would the pricing be aproximetely. Nice work. They look great too. ;) Please emial me if you would be so kind. Or please call me :D I just had my SC Dynoed By Dave he was Impressed and so was I...I would like to try one of your as recommended, to add a I/C and then the car is at its Optimum performace. Thanks again!
Victor......
Spinningwheels-sc@earthlink.net
www.spinningwheels-sc.com

Ken,
I want to thank you again for getting this done for me. As with everything that you touch...it looks great. Since I was helping Andy all afternoon on his supercharger, I haven't gotten it installed yet. But it will go on first thing tomorrow, (Sunday). And it will be road tested Monday evening after I get my inlet plenum back from some professional port work (I got the EGR port filled in and some smoothing inside the inlet further, plus the porting for the TB).
I'm confident that this IC will support all the power that I plan on throwing at it. Thanks again, Ken.

victor malvar said:
Hi Andy,
That is a nice looking I/C I have someone to make mine already. I was wordering what you would charge me for one two or three. I would like to try new products and see what works best. I have had great results with the person that does mine but the shipping is a killer and retundn time is sometimes a factor. I need one for two of my own sc's and would like to see if we could talk in case I loose my connection. He is getting into a more technical area of these cars and his time is short due to his other job. But he does do exellent work. Yours look like a work of art. I would be proud to have one in my two cars one is my sons and the other is for my new projet. Please answer me ASAP. I am ready to order a Magnum powers Fmic and if we can see what your,s will deliver... I just may want to go with one of yours. I would still probably use the FMIC from MP but would like to try one or two of yours for startrs and see where we go from there. I'm very Interested all the way around. what would the pricing be aproximetely. Nice work. They look great too. ;) Please emial me if you would be so kind. Or please call me :D I just had my SC Dynoed By Dave he was Impressed and so was I...I would like to try one of your as recommended, to add a I/C and then the car is at its Optimum performace. Thanks again!
Victor......
Spinningwheels-sc@earthlink.net
www.spinningwheels-sc.com

Sent you an E mail. If you want to E mail me back my home E mail is kenewagner@hotmail.com.

007_SuperCoupe said:
Ken,
I want to thank you again for getting this done for me. As with everything that you touch...it looks great. Since I was helping Andy all afternoon on his supercharger, I haven't gotten it installed yet. But it will go on first thing tomorrow, (Sunday). And it will be road tested Monday evening after I get my inlet plenum back from some professional port work (I got the EGR port filled in and some smoothing inside the inlet further, plus the porting for the TB).
I'm confident that this IC will support all the power that I plan on throwing at it. Thanks again, Ken.

Let me know when you have it on Sam. I want to know if there was clearance between the fan and alternator

Mike Manzo said:
I must own one...

Ken, you have mail...

I just sold my last one to Victor at spinning wheels. I wont be able to start another one untill I acquire some more cores

Back