Integrated Relay Control Module

LIL QIK

Anyone have experience with this. The A/C isn't responding........and the fan isn't coming on. The fan motor is new and the A/C just got charged. That control module is the only thing left that I can think of.

Any thoughts and advice are more than welcome.

Dave

Yes, its possible. The clutch relay is inside the IRCM. But first try disconnecting the compressor and plugging in a volt meter to it. Then try turning on the A/C and see if its getting power. If no, then try jumpering the pressure switch connector with a paperclip and check for voltage again. I'm not sure, but I think you have to have the engine running for this. Try it with the engine off first but key to the run position. :)

TbirdSCFan said:
Yes, its possible. The clutch relay is inside the IRCM. But first try disconnecting the compressor and plugging in a volt meter to it. Then try turning on the A/C and see if its getting power. If no, then try jumpering the pressure switch connector with a paperclip and check for voltage again. I'm not sure, but I think you have to have the engine running for this. Try it with the engine off first but key to the run position. :)

Thanks for the input. Yea........I tried jumping the pressure switch and still got no response..........so then I just ran power straight to the compressor to make sure it was still good.......and it was. I wasn't sure if the IRCM had anything to do with it........so I'm assuming that it does by what your saying. I'm going to check the fusible link to the IRCM (didn't know it was there until a few minutes ago) and see it the IRCM is even getting power.

Again........thanks for the input. I'll give it all a go tonight.

I believe this relay module also controls the hi and lo speed of the fan.

Anyone know where I can locate a module? That works. HEH. (Oh and for a 92 SC..but I imagine they are the same for the model run)

Thanks!

MC

MCharlie said:
I believe this relay module also controls the hi and lo speed of the fan.

Anyone know where I can locate a module? That works. HEH. (Oh and for a 92 SC..but I imagine they are the same for the model run)

Thanks!

MC
eBay and here in the parts for sale forum. Sometimes, they sellers are the same people. :)

LIL QIK said:
Anyone have experience with this. The A/C isn't responding........and the fan isn't coming on. The fan motor is new and the A/C just got charged. That control module is the only thing left that I can think of.

Any thoughts and advice are more than welcome.

Dave
Just new here, and I have the same problem with my Bird.Waz interested if you got it working. And if you can tell me where to find the Control module. Thanks to any one who can help. knighter.

Check out ebay. I just bought one two days ago on ebay for 9.99 plus 10 buck shipping. Not bad if you ask me. I also saw another one on there a few day beforehand for 15 dollars. I don't think there are any there now, but keep an eye on ebay.

Metalman

metalman said:
Check out ebay. I just bought one two days ago on ebay for 9.99 plus 10 buck shipping. Not bad if you ask me. I also saw another one on there a few day beforehand for 15 dollars. I don't think there are any there now, but keep an eye on ebay.

Metalman

Can any one here who has a 92 SC (91 should be the same..hell..they should ALL be the same, but don't know) Take a look at their IRCM and get the part number for me. I have opportunity to buy a new one and need the part number to match up, but my car is at the shop and I can't get to it until Monday!

Thanks for the inconvenience!

MC

I bought a brand new one and it still didn't fix the problem. So I'm just using an aftermarket controller. Turns out that I really needed to do this anyway due to the fact that I'm running a 160 thermostat and I have my fans coming on much earlier than the factory setting now.

Car Shudder when fan kicks on ???

I believe that you can do a KOEO test and the fan should kick on during the beginning of the test. You will need a helper to watch the fan while you turn the key on. Do a search here for the topic. There was a thread yesterday I think about repairing the IRCM. I took mine apart and hit all the solder joints in it. I also wired LED's to the fan wires so I can tell when my fan does kick on. Does anyone elses car "shudder" breifly when the fan kicks on? I think I'm going to wire a capacitor to the power input to the fan relays to take some of the load off the alternator. But I'm not going to do that for a while though.

My car shudders..........but I'm sure it's because I've got the High speed side coming on directly instead of the low speed coming on and then the high speed. I've seen a lot about the KOEO test........but frankly don't even know what that stands for. I'll look more into this test and give it a go. I'd really like to have all factory equipment. I've put a brand new fan, new IRCM, all new fuses and have tested the fusible link..........so I'm not sure what else could be wrong.

I'll look up this KOEO thing and see what it's all about.

KOEO is a code retrieval test from the EEC-IV. It is used to pull codes from the computer when the check engine light comes on. But when the test is initiated, the computer tests certain aspects of the car to make sure they are working properly, and one of those things are the cooling fans, temp sensors, O2 sensors, dis, etc.......

Dave - not sure what year your SC is, but did you check the compressor fuse? And if you have the auto climate control sometimes the a/c switch can go bad and not send a signal to the compressor. Try switching between a/c & defrost to see if the compressor responds on the defrost. When my compressor wouldn't run on my '93, first I replaced the CC switch and finally the dealer found a wire behind the Climate Control panel (that signals the compressor) had rubbed against the frame and shorted out.
Hope that helps

Mines an 89.......I just replaced all of the a/c system as well. I've really put way too much into this car.......but what the hell........I kind of like it. Anyway I haven't checked the IRCM lately since I've replaced all these things. But I will do a check this weekend. But like I said.......in any case I will need new programming to have the fan come on at an earlier temp none the less.

LIL QIK said:
Mines an 89.......I just replaced all of the a/c system as well. I've really put way too much into this car.......but what the hell........I kind of like it. Anyway I haven't checked the IRCM lately since I've replaced all these things. But I will do a check this weekend. But like I said.......in any case I will need new programming to have the fan come on at an earlier temp none the less.

Running a 160 tstat even with a reprogrammed EEC is not gong to be good for your car, as it will never reach optimal running temp AND more than likely will never come out of closed (or is it open) loop running.... in others it will always keep the choke on so you will always be running very rich which could cause your car to run hotter than normal anyways, and your mileage and performance will go through the floor.

Just thought I'd point that out to you.

The lowest you should run is 180.

Frit

Back