M5R2 Transmission Rebuild How-To

Rich Thomson

I have finished the Technical article for Rebuilding the M5R2 5-speed transmission found in 1989-1995 Thunderbird SC's.

This article should help just about anyone wanting to rebuild their own 5-speed.

Rich

M5R2 Transmission Rebuild How-To

m5r2-side-view.JPG

Last edited:
thanks a ton! Im not sure yet if i can attempt this my self or not but my 2nd gear synros are gone!
Its not for the faint of heart, but its doable.

Unlike the AOD, which has a fluid pan, there is nothing flat on the bottom side. w/o something to hold it secure, it rocks side to side and rolls off creating loud noises and smashing fingers. :eek: I built a special lift plate, that allowed me to hold the thing steady and secure with a floor jack, out of some wood by building up uneven columns. :cool: (See pic)

The pilot bearing is a pain to remove, and that big honker nut on the end shaft is another pain. I reuse the honker locking washer that holds the honker nut in place by denting it in in a different spot. Otherwise, the rest is rather straight forward.

Attachments

• IMG_0137.jpg
    IMG_0137.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 381
The pilot bearing is a pain to remove, and that big honker nut on the end shaft is another pain. I reuse the honker locking washer that holds the honker nut in place by denting it in in a different spot. Otherwise, the rest is rather straight forward.

I got a "special" tool made for that big "honker" nut. I'll take a pic of it tomorrow and post it.

Back