Att: David Dalke, Steig heads, pushrod length and valvetrain noise

ricardoa1

David, I purchased Stage III heads from Steig through Brian Herron back in Sept. 03 along with a cam and pushrods. I had to have the heads decked (as well as the block) to for a better surface finish to use the MLS gaskets. Since assembling and now running the engine, I have valvetrain noise. I had been told that the supplied pushrods were the correct length and no further adjustments needed to be made on my part, however I am not so convinced now. I haven't driven the car since putting the new motor in out of fear of damaging the engine. Can you tell me what length pushrod I have or should have, how I can check the valve lash to verify it is correct and what corrective measures I will have to take if the lash is wrong (BTW, what should the lash be anyway?). I was under the impression this would be a turnkey install, however, since having to deck the heads due to the poor surface finish, I think I may have screwed things up a bit. A full list of my mods can be found on my members page. I have been unable to contact Brian so any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Rico..If anything there would be less clearence with the milling/decking of those surfaces.

How is the oil pressure?

Are the rockers hitting the covers?

Also even though its a bolt down..DId you check for pushrod play?

Pull a cover off and see how much play inm teh pushrods there is and get back to us

Milling the heads would increase preload, not decrease it.

The process for checking valve lifter preload:

1) dissable the fuel pump and ignition system so the motor can't start.

2) turn the motor so that one pair of valves are closed. This is the "back side" of the cam. Back off this pair of rocker arms so that they have at least .060" clearance to the valve.

3) crank the motor over 2 complete rotations. This pumps up the lifters. Check to make sure you still have clearance. If you don't, back them off another .060" and crank the motor again. Both rockers should now be loose. The exact amount doesn't matter, just that after cranking they are both still loose with a gap to the valve tip. I don't like backing them off more than .060" at a time because the pedestals can turn and the bosses are easily damaged.

4) now that we are sure that the lifters are fully pumped up, and the cylinder in question is on the back side of the cam (both valves closed) you can tighten the rocker bolt with your fingers. Spin it down until you hit definite resistance. This is .000" lash.

5) Now put a wrench on it and noting the degrees of rotation required, tighten the bolt until it stops. Torgue is not critical here, just tighten it until you feel a definite "stop". Note the degrees of rotation. It should be between 3/4 turn and 1 1/4 turns. Marginal would be 1/2 turn to 1 1/2 turn.

Final torque values do not affect lilfter preload so don't worry about that. This is done totally by feel.

If you find that your rockers tighten down within the prescribed range, the it will be necessary to back off all rockers using the above process and check all valves because evidently you have one or two that are out of spec.

However, if you find that preload is low (1/2 turn or less) you will need longer pushrods. Check your length and order the next size up as well as some rocker shims (you'll need both).

If the preload is already high (which I doubt being that you have noise) then you will need shims already.

You may be experiencing normal valvetrain noise. Roller rockers are noisier than stock, and high lift cams will cause a certain amount of noise all on their own also. It most likely won't ever be totally quiet.

If you do all of this and still have unacceptable noise, the final option is to replace the lifters as you may have one that is sticking. Make sure that they are installed with the oil orfice facing outward towards the oil galley.

{edit} Steig heads ARE bolt on in as much as they can be. Bob retains the stock valve tip installed height. However, as with any high performance application, nothing else is stock dimension so in final assembly you must check your clearances. Even SBC and SBF people must go through this step. ;) {edit}

Last edited:
Back