Rear Caliper Piston Not Seating

AL-X89SC

Anybody know anything about depressing the rear caliper pistons? Im doing a brake job and the front caliper pistons depressed fine with a c clamp but the rear wont budge. I read in the manual about screwing the piston clockwise untill it seats but that didnt work either. The parking brake is not on and I even unhooked it from the anchor point on the caliper. I tried bleeding it while depressing the piston and that didnt work either.

Also 2nd gear started to grind really bad so I started to skip it. My hydraulic clutch ran dry a few weeks later and it stopped shifting all together. Filled the clutch up and pumped the clutch stiff again. I hope that keeps me going for a while till I can replace the transmission. Any thoughts? Thanks for any help in advance.

Alex

Last edited:
RE: Rear calipers

You need a special tool available at your favorite parts house the spin the pistons back in with a rachet handle. Even with the tool it's tough. One of mine just wouldn't budge and I had to buy a rebuilt caliper.

You have to turn the piston clockwise to reseat it. I use a set of vise grips on mine.. took a long time as I could only turn it a small bit at a time and skinned up my knuckles a bit, but it got the job done. :)

Thanks

Thanks guys for your help. My friend and I ended up using a C clamp and some channel locks I rotated the piston clockwise while he turned the clamp. (props to JJ) It didnt take to long.

Also the fluid in the clutch helped change gears. (imagine that) Even though it still grinds a little. I will have to replace the transmission soon.
Thanks again.

Alex

Once you screw back the rear caliper pistons ok (I've used needle nose pliers before, but now I bought the right KD tool for our cars) don't forget to lube the caliper pins and, set those slots in the pistons vertically so the pins on the back of the brake pads engage.

Back